[IPr] FW: forward to spirit

>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IPr] Re: My thoughts, and coping
>From: Kress Family <email @ redacted>
>Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 11:38:01 -0600

>It appears the seminars are primarily for Jews or other religions or
>non-religions who do not believe Jesus is the Messiah.   That's fine.
>As a Christian, I have no interest in listening to a group (no matter
>how scholarly) who don't believe in the most fundamental Christian
>belief, that Jesus is the Messiah.

No it isn't.  The scholars in the Jesus Seminar have a very wide varieties
of backgrounds.  Fundementalists are underrepresented due to their research
approach [e.g. wishing to understand the historical truth of events and
sayings reported in the Bible, whereas for the fundementalist it is ALL
tue and beyond question]. Many if not most are from Christian seminaries.
I would also venture that a majority would identify themselves as Christian.

>I disagreed with much of what was written, especially the part that
>Jesus and the New Testament is anti-Jew.  Excerpt:

>"Again one must remember that the figure of Jesus, no matter how
>benevolent he has appeared to Christians, has always been used as a
>symbol of great oppression against the Jew.  In short, the text of
>the New Testament can be a source of useful historical reflection for
>Jews, when it is not being used as a theological bludgeon against
>them."

>Jesus wasn't anti anything.  Many of his own disciples and followers
>were Jewish.  Paul was Jewish.  The New Testament is for anyone and
>everyone to embrace.  Some Jews do, some don't.  Their choice.  If
>they feel rejected, it's because they rejected it, it didn't reject
>them.

You seemed to have missed the point (in my opinion).  It is not the New
Testament or Jesus that is anti-jew or anti-semite, it is that historically
many people have used the New Testament stories as a basis for
anti-semitism.  Perhap you have heard the phrase "Christ-killer" used to
refer to a Jew?  That is what the author is refering to.  How the Roman
authorities (Pilate) washed their hands of Jesus's punishment and turned him
over to Jewish authorities.

If I may, can I return to your lack of interest in scholarship from an
non-"Jesus is messiah" group?  Does that mean you reject this recent
discovery of the first (perhaps) historical (as opposed to religious
writings) finding that indicates that there really was a Jesus? I am
refering to this burial object for James son of Joeseph and brother of
Jesus.  My father-in-law for years has cited that there is no historical
evidence there ever was a Jesus.  This is the first, but because it was
discovered by non-Christians you are not interested?  How frightening.

Matt