Re: [IPr] Re: My thoughts, and coping

>Yes, I've found the writings at   http://www.westarinstitute.org/   and they
>are very interesting and I will pursue them further.   Not that they have
>changed my mind, but they have piqued my intellect.  If it weren't for this
>discussion I might not have been exposed to this.  VERY interesting, thanks
>to all of you!  Any suggested sites on the Quran or Bhagavad Gita would be
>appreciated also.
>George     :>)

I just read the article at  http://www.westarinstitute.org/  on the
Jesus Seminars.  I didn't realize it was written by a Jewish Rabbi,
which explains a lot.  Excerpt:

"I spoke first as a Jew who never once regarded Jesus as a divine
being; never once thought of him as the Messiah, past or future."

It appears the seminars are primarily for Jews or other religions or
non-religions who do not believe Jesus is the Messiah.   That's fine.
As a Christian, I have no interest in listening to a group (no matter
how scholarly) who don't believe in the most fundamental Christian
belief, that Jesus is the Messiah.   Excerpt:

"It is my hope that Jewish scholars will take the work of this body
seriously. I would especially encourage rabbis and other Jews engaged
in Jewish/Christian dialogue to become acquainted with this work."

I disagreed with much of what was written, especially the part that
Jesus and the New Testament is anti-Jew.  Excerpt:

"Again one must remember that the figure of Jesus, no matter how
benevolent he has appeared to Christians, has always been used as a
symbol of great oppression against the Jew.  In short, the text of
the New Testament can be a source of useful historical reflection for
Jews, when it is not being used as a theological bludgeon against

Jesus wasn't anti anything.  Many of his own disciples and followers
were Jewish.  Paul was Jewish.  The New Testament is for anyone and
everyone to embrace.  Some Jews do, some don't.  Their choice.  If
they feel rejected, it's because they rejected it, it didn't reject

I can't possibly know what it's like to be Jewish.  I feel they've
had to endure a lot.  Hopefully, one day we will all know why.  After
all, they are God's chosen people.  Read Romans 11.  God has not
forgotten nor forsaken them, at least that's how I interpret it.  :)