Re: [IPr] Re: My thoughts, and coping

Cindy <email @ redacted> wrote:

> The Bible was God inspired.  No other book can make that claim.

Not true.  Islam claims that the Quran is also inspired (dictated, actually)
by God.  LDS believes that the Book of Mormon is inspired by God.  Hindus
believe that the Baghavad Gita is inspired.

> Matthew 26: 39 - And he went a little farther, and fell on his face,
> and prayed, saying, "O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup
> pass from me:  nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Exactly.  He was leaving his fate in the hands of the Father without knowing
what the end would be.  He went to his death in *faith*, not knowledge.

> If anyone is USING the Bible as a "bludgeon," then they are not true
> Christians.

Again, you judge without knowing.  You seem to think that "true Christians"
are perfect in their behavior.

> I talking about Christians using the Bible as God intended.  We were
> meant to read and study it.  How else would we know what God's word
> is for us??  Someone who isn't a Christian could be using it for the
> wrong reasons and not what God intended.  I'm talking about
> Christians using it for their only source of inspiration, which is
> what I FEEL God intended.  He didn't inspire any other works.  I
> think there's a reason for that.

Interesting comment since Christians can't seem to agree on what belongs in
the Bible.  Some Christian Bibles contain the Deuterocanonical books (the
Apocrypha) while others leave them out.

> Exactly my point.  God would not have inspired a book intended for
> Christians if it meant we would turn it into an idol.

This flies in the face of the freedom given each person.  This freedom is
absolutely necessary because love without freedom is not love.

> If the Bible
> is used the way God intended, it could NEVER be considered an idol.

That's a really big "if".

> The Jesus Seminar's do not sound like they are based on Christianity
> through God's word, the Bible.  By all means, these seminars should
> be allowed and anyone has the right to attend them.  I just don't
> feel they are Christian-based.

Then you have not read any of the work.  You are judging without knowing and
in doing so, you, too, impugn the faith of others.

> Of course God communicates with us through prayer.  BUT IF A

You seem to think that I'm being anti-Bible.  I'm not.  But reading and
studying it critically, rather than taking every little thing as absolute
historical fact, yields a richer relationship with God for many people.

> The Bible may not be new, but it is all I need!  If someone wants to
> debate a scripture taken from the Bible and its meaning, I'm always
> open as well to their perspective.  I'm just not open to
> enlightenment from anything that falls outside the scripture of the
> Bible.

I can tell.  To be honest, I don't expect to change your mind with this
post, or with any of the other messages I've posted.  But maybe someone else
who reads this might find a path to be enlightened.

> This is the last post from me on this thread.

Same here.

> I don't know if it is my fault by not being clear on
> my posts or your interpretation of them, but your reply posts change
> the meaning and content of what I'm trying to express.

I have not tried to change any meaning of what you've written.  I have asked
questions that your statements raise, and, I think, pointed out some

It is my opinion that blind faith often results only in blindness.  I'll end
by quoting an ad from the Church Ad Project (http://www.churchad.com/):  "He
died to take away your sins, not your mind."

Jim Handsfield