[IPr] Re: My thoughts, and coping

>I don't know where you are coming from when you say Jesus never
>demanded that we take a literal interpretation of any scripture. It is
>through the Bible (and only the Bible) that we know what Jesus' wants
>of us.

I agree that the Bible is our primary (though I wouldn't say ONLY) source of
information about Jesus.  I also agree that Christian faith demands that we
take the Bible seriously.  Where we differ, apparently, is that I don't believe
"taking it seriously" has to mean "taking it literally".

>We totally disagree on this one. I don't feel the Bible could ever be
>referred to as an idol. God was vehemently against worshipping idols.
>He wouldn't give us his Word through one.

To me, the key word in your sentence is "worshipping".  It is the WORSHIP
of idols that God opposes.  It's not that the thing that's become an "idol" is
necessarily a bad thing in itself.  It could be a good or even wonderful thing.
 But it's not God, so it can't be worshipped.   I believe Christians are called
to worship God through Jesus Christ -- NOT worship the Bible.  Study the
Bible, yes.  Learn about God and Jesus from the Bible, yes.  Allow our faith
to be shaped and challenged by the Bible, yes. But worship it by allowing it
to become the only thing that sustains our faith?  No.

>Maybe it's time to let it drop. We all have very passionate opinions and
>views...which is a good thing. I don't think any of us are going to
>change our minds.

We could let it drop....but my belief is that there are really very few places
in society for people to discuss their faith -- and even fewer where
Christians who disagree with each other can dialogue respectfully.  I think
interfaith dialogue between Christians and Jews, or Christians and Muslims,
etc., is actually easier and less threatening than "intrafaith" dialogue
between (for lack of better terms) "liberal" Christians and "conservative"
Christians.  I believe we're all part of the body of Christ and can all learn
from each other.  "Agreeing to disagree" may be the easiest path, but I'm
not sure it's the most faithful one.

Anyway, I know this thread isn't focused on diabetes, so again apologies to
those who aren't interested!  But of course, faith touches ALL aspects of
our lives, not just our health.