[IPr] Myth & the Jesus Seminar

>Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:26:50 -0600>
>From: Kress Family <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IPr] My thoughts, and coping

>1. a.  A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with
>supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a
>fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining
>aspects of the natural world or delineating the
>psychology, customs, or ideals of society: the myth of Eros and
>Psyche; a creation myth.

Am I missing something here? This seems to be an excellent description of
the Bible.  Is it not a snapshot of the worldview of a least a sizable
fraction of the Christian world?  And this definition doesn't carry any of
the baggage of whether as myth is necessarily true or not.

Also I am curious.  Do you also question scholarship that the Gospels were
not written until a substantial time after Christ's death?  One of the key
points of scholarship for the Jesus Seminar is how time and politics of the
time may have resulted in many of the stories attributed to Jesus to have
been fabrications.  An additional issue for anyone wanting to know the story
of Christ is whether the Gospels not accepted by the Council of Nicea have
any value in supporting your faith (The Gospel of Thomas, etc.).

I am not sure how a modern thinking person can approach the Bible as
anything but myth and inspiration.  A quick example.  The story of Noah.  We
know that there are 350,000+ species of beetles on this planet.  How were
they to fit in the fairly small (by ocean liner criteria) ark that Noah
built?  I see the story of the flood and Noah as having great value in
lessons, but as history we haven't even scratched the problems contained
there (where did the water come from? Where did it go?  Ararat is
substantial shorter than most mountains in the world.  Why go aground

I am sorry if I got people upset.  I am not a Christian, but the Christian
tradition really does interest me.  I find the work of the Jesus Seminar
interesting and am expecting to learn new things about parables and what
Jesus was saying at the time he said it.  If approaching early Christianity
on a scholarly or analytical fashion is offensive, I will try to avoid it.

I did find it curious that what was really a note about depression only
received one response on that subject.