Re: [IPr] Re: My thoughts, and coping

Laura <email @ redacted> wrote:

> We differ on this...and that's fine.  I believe that the Bible is
> true in every sense.  It is the word of God the way he intended and
> designed.

Are you saying that you believe God dictated the Bible and the various
authors were God's scribes?  Then how do you explain the internal
inconsistancies?  For example the first two chapters of Genesis have two
stories of Creation with different sequences of events.   How do you explain
one place where Jesus makes the claim to be Messiah (which many interpret to
mean he understood that he was the Second Person Incarnate), and yet his
prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane in which he prayed in a way that makes it
clear he did not know the final outcome of his suffering?

> >I have to say that I think the Bible (like anything else that's not
> >God) can be
> >made into an idol.

I've also seen the Bible used as a bludgeon too many times.

> We totally disagree on this one.  I don't feel the Bible could ever
> be referred to as an idol.

Really?  You have never seen anyone come to worship the Bible instead of the
God it tells about?

> God was vehemently against worshipping
> idols.  He wouldn't give us his Word through one.

God does not make idols.  *WE* make idols that replace God in our hearts.
The Bible is a book - a very special one, but a book nonetheless, written by
human beings inspired by God.

> I don't know what you mean about holding the "right" doctrines.

Well, take a look at Jesus' teachings to some of the Pharisees, particularly
about working on the Sabbath.  Jesus was very clear that the spirit of the
Law - honoring God and Creation - was more important than a mindless
adherence to rules imposed by religious leaders.  Jesus denounced the
"right" doctrine of the Pharisees.

> Anyone can profess they are a Christian.  I am not judging anyone's
> Christianity.

But that's exactly why I joined this topic.  Gil impugned the faith of the
Jesus Seminar participants even though he has never tried to understand
their work, and you strongly agreed with him.  If you are willing to allow
each person to experience God through Christ in her or his way then we have
no argument.

> I just feel accepting Jesus as the son of God and living by
> His example and commandments is what makes you a Christian and the
> only way to know that is by reading the Bible.

Here we differ.  God still communicates with us through each other and
directly.  If this is not true then why were we commanded to pray?

> We all have very passionate opinions and views...which is a good
> thing.  I don't think any of us are going to change our minds.

I'm always willing and prepared to change my mind when I learn something

Jim Handsfield