Re: [IPr] My thoughts, and coping

>Kress Family <email @ redacted> wrote:
> > Other religions weren't being discussed in this thread, just
> > Christianity.  Muslims and Jews don't believe that Jesus is the son
> > of God, and therefore, not Christians.
>I thought this list was for people of all faiths.  My mistake.

Please don't twist things I post.  This list IS for people of ALL
faiths.  Someone had pointed out that Muslims and Jews don't believe
in Christ as the son of God.  I was concurring.  Of course they
don't.  That is not their belief.  That was my point...and my only

> > On the contrary, Jim, I think you don't understand myth.
>Your dictionary is mistaken.  If you are really interested, look it up in a
>theological context.

My dictionary is Webster's Ninth New Collegiate edition.  I trust it.
I also looked myth up in Roget's Thesaurus:  imagination, conceit,
maggot, figment, myth, dream, vision, shadow, chimera, agent's yarn;
claptrap. myth, moonshine, bosh.  From Dictionary.com:
1. a.  A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with
supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a
fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining
aspects of the natural world or delineating the
psychology, customs, or ideals of society: the myth of Eros and
Psyche; a creation myth.
b.Such stories considered as a group: the realm of myth.
2.  A popular belief or story that has become associated with a
person, institution, or occurrence, especially one considered to
illustrate a cultural ideal: a star whose fame turned her into a
myth; the pioneer myth of suburbia.
3.A fiction or half-truth, especially one that forms part of an ideology.
4.A fictitious story, person, or thing: "German artillery superiority
on the Western Front was a myth" (Leon Wolff).

>You further seem to question that I am a Christian.  I have been a Christian
>for as long as I can remember.  In addition, I am a trained spiritual
>director in the Christian tradition.  I have also had pretty extensive
>theological training, and I am well versed in Christian spiritual matters.
>But since your mind is so closed, then there's no point in continuing.

Again, please don't twist what I say.  I have never questioned your
being a Christian.  I don't even know you or anything about your
beliefs.  I was opposing the need for supplemental reading outside of
the Bible (which is THE ONLY word of God) and the mindset that the
Bible is partly fictional.  I don't believe as a Christian we can
feel that way.  If that makes me close-minded, I can live with that.

These are my beliefs based on being a Christian and accepting the
Bible and living by the new covenant (New Testament).  I have many
friends who are of other religions and beliefs.  They don't call
themselves Christians, because they aren't.  Even while I disagree
with their beliefs, I respect their freedom to make those choices
without judgment and persecution.  Paul was a non-believer and
persecutor of those who believed for many years before he converted.
As we all know, he went on to become a committed apostle of Jesus.
We don't know what is in store for anyone, believers and
non-believers alike.  It isn't our business, nor our job.