Re: [IPr] My thoughts, and coping

Cindy <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can you be faithful
> Christians yet claim the Bible is myth in classic meaning???  The
> Bible IS the ESSENCE of Christ.  I'm with you, Gil!

>From a Christian perspective, of course it is the essence of Christ (while
Jews and Muslims might take a different view).

But I think you misunderstand myth.  Myth does not mean untrue.  To the
contrary, a myth is a story that tells a Truth, exact history
notwithstanding.  IOW, a story may or may not be historically accurate, but
it still is truthful regarding God.  There is much in the Bible that is not
historically verifiable, and some that simply cannot be historical because
it is self contradictory.

What the Jesus Seminar was/is attempting to do is to distill the factual
from the mythological, and I hold that they *cannot* be separated and still
be true to the story of Redemption.  But that does not make the participants
unChristian or unfaithful.

To criticize those who are doing it, in a way that comes close to demonizing
them without trying to understand what they are doing is very unhelpful.
Spirituality is *enhanced* by a strong intellectual approach, not hampered.
If anyone is going to criticize a work, then one needs to read and
understand what it is trying to accomplish.  Otherwise is it just so much
straw in the wind.

Jim Handsfield