Re: RE: [IPr] About facing your mortality

Brad wrote:

"I have thought many times about the issues you brought up. Faith is a very complicated issue. I go to a church that believes that God can heal us, and have witnessed several people receive their healing over cancer, arthritis, and other diseases. It is not hard for me to have the faith that someone else can be healed. After all, the bible is full of examples of people getting healed and God is still the same God today. But not everyone gets healed. I am one of them. "

It's important to remember that healing in this context is *transitory*.  Eventually, it is undone, and everyone dies of something.  Even Lazarus, whom Jesus resuscitated from death, had to die again.  Healing has a purpose -- to point us to something deeper and more important . . . the Healer.  When we focus here instead of on the healing itself, we can begin to realize that death is the ultimate healing.  In a Christian context, death is not the enemy . . . sin is the enemy.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, my own spiritual director pointed out the similarities between me and Ebenezer Scrooge: Scrooge's redemption started with a visit from the ghost of Jacob Marley.  Diagnosis with diabetes can be a death knell, or it can be a call to live life as well as we can.  It's our choice.

Jim Handsfield