Re: [IPr] Diabetes and spirit

> Dear Susan,
>   No Heather is not on a pump yet.  She is being considered for one
>   though.
> What her doctors and her father and myself are working towards is
> getting her to test the way she needs to do.  Heather fights us
> every inch of the way!  I don't know if it is because of my having
> diabetes as well or not but it has been a major power struggle
> between us since her diagnosis.   As soon as Heather shows us she
> will test without a battle she will have a pump too.

Consider..... when Heather tests she probably rarely gets good news.
It does not provide her with any benefits and probably does not allow
her to really regulate her bg's in a manner that will improve her
quality of life. I would be willing to bet that when she tests what
she finds out is how bad thing are, not how good.

Consider the flip side of that if she had a pump. If she wants a
treat, she tests -- this allow her to adjust her bg's quickly if they
are off and do as she planned. Whether it is sports, a candy bar or
whatever.... My daughter went from testing a few times a day (10+
minutes per poke) to testing 6 - 8 times a day in just days when she
figured out that with her pump she had freedom from the MDI grind.

It is not obvious, but I think the cart is before the horse in trying
to motivate Heather to test pre-pump. The incentive to do so will not
be obvious to her until later.