From: Arne Solheim Kaldahl <email @ redacted>
To: Insulin Pumper <email @ redacted>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 3:27 PM
Subject: [IPr] Spirituality and religion in norway

> Hello!
> I am a diabetic from Norway.  I have been on the pump for some months.
Now I am off because some problems with the Norwegian medicare not paying
for all the things  needed to use pump.  I think the pump gives better HbA1c
than using pen with the same effort.  My HbA1c has changed from 8.2 to 9.0
(good and bad periods) to 7.4 to 7.9 (god/bad) and I think that is a good
improvement.  I have had Rethinopaty on both eyes, so I really need a better
regulation.  If I hadn't had surgery on both eyes, I had been blind.  The
situation today is that I see very good on both eyes and will do so in many
years to come.
> I am an agnostic.  That means that I don't think I am capable of deciding
if a God exists or not.  We believe that  we must do the best out of life
here on earth.  I don't want to go into details in that now, but if anybody
wants to discuss what it is to be agnostic, I will take part.
> In Norway we have a STATE CHURCH.  This means that the state is Christian,
and the Evanbgelic Lutheran Church is the churh of the state.  I was born
into the church, and had to go out of it if I didn't want to be a member.  I
went out at the age of 19.
> This system must be quite  impossible to understand for people in the USA.
But the strange thing is that althoug 87% of the people of Norway are
members of the state church and only 1 1/2 % of the people are members of
the organisation  for agnostics many very famous people and politicians are
agnostics.  6 out of 12 prime ministers after  WW2 have been agnostics.
> I have heard that in the US of A the state and church are completely
independent of each other, BUT if a politician says he don't believe in God
and don't go to any church, he/she is completely chanceless in an election.
Is this true??