Re: [IPr] FW: [IP] Trained Spiritual Director

My initial contribution:

From:           	Self <email @ redacted>
To:             	Bonnie Richardson <
email @ redacted>,email @ redacted  pumpers.org
Subject:        	Re: [IP] Trained Spritual Director
Send reply to:  	email @ redacted
Date sent:      	Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:30:19 -0600

On 20 Dec 00, at 11:01, Bonnie Richardson wrote:

> Would you enlighten me on what this means?  What training, by whom,
what
> do you do?  How do you direct?  What exactly does that job title do?

> and How do you get to be one.

A warning - I'm speaking from a conservative Christian point of view
(possibly even somewhat Evangelical in perspective, but being Southern
Baptist I'm not really comfortable being called an Evangelical) as a
minister and as someone who has had some experience in doing this kind
of
thing.

The title "spiritual director" is an old one and goes back to the early

years of the monastic movment in the Roman Catholic church in Europe.
It
refers to a person that provides direction in the development of a
person's spiritual growth or more normally stated as the person growing
in
their relationship to Christ or becoming Christlike.  Notice that I said

direction - not guidance.  There is an important distinction there.  A
spiritual director is not a coach, nor necessarily even a friend.  They

are a person who can ask questions, provide a reference point and also
help the directee ask the right questions while pointing them towards
potential resolutions.  A spiritual director has an interest in the
person
as a growing human being while at the same time holding a certain
distance
so they can be objective in their judgement and actions.

Generally the spiritual director is a person with a well defined, mature

and secure Christian identity.  Usually they have a well developed set
of
skills in theology, Christian doctrine, Sacramental theology and
practice,
and may have received special instruction in pastoral skills and
psychology.  Most spiritual directors are clergy but not all clergy are

spiritual directors.  Some spiritual directors are monastics - and I
suspect that nearly all have a contemplative streak a mile wide. A
special
requirement is a gift or calling to this ministry - because the
spiritual
director has to invest a lot of time and effort into the people they are

directing.  It isn't a "six week wonder" or a "twelve step program" but
relationship that grows over time.  Sometimes people want to compare it
counseling or therapy, but it isn't the same type of relationship or
activity.  A spiritual director is someone who lets you walk alongside
them on their journey and guides you by helping you find your reference

points, frame your questions and discover your answers.  It's about 5%
questioning, 50% holding the person accountable, 75% listening and 50%
just being there, mixed with 100% loving and prayerful support.
Sometimes
the process involves asking difficult or confrontational questions -
that's why it requires a lot of effort and prayer.

Over the past ten years we have seen this practice move out of hiding
and
towards more open expression and development in non-Catholic groups,
especially in Evangelical groups.  There have always been people in all

the Christian groups who practiced this form of ministry, but we haven't

been comfortable with the title until recently.  I've been on the
directing side of this practice for about fifteen years.  In my opinion

spiritual direction is not the kind of thing that you advertise - it
isn't
a commercial transaction or even a compartmentalized or well documented

activity.  Spiritual direction comes out of a relationship - similar to
mentor but with a different emphasis.  There is not an outline, program
or
checklist that can measure progress - it is a subjective action on the
part of all parties involved.  There is now acceptance of the practice
of
asking someone to be your spiritual director.  In years past the
question
was framed as a prayer request or request for assistance in vocational
guidance or even to be an "accountability agent" for someone.

In my experience it wasn't a task I took on - it was something that I
was
doing before I found out what it was called.   It doesn't seem to be the

kind of thing you can charge for - handing a person a bill for $50 for
"1
hour of spiritual direction" has always struck me as very strange and
contradictory. You couldn't charge enough for the time and effort
invested
and much of the work doesn't occur when the person you are directing is

around.  Sometimes it takes place in well defined chunks or events while

at other times it's a well timed postcard, letter, email or phone call.

I hope every one on the list has an enjoyable holiday season.  Christmas

is a very special time for many of us as we celebrate one of the most
significant events in history.  Even if you don't celebrate with us, I
wish you and your family an abundance of happiness in this season and
the
coming year!

 Rev. Randall Winchester WD4HVA (email @ redacted)