[IPr] dilemma

Sunday afternoon my wife asked me the questions that I'd been afraid to
think about since the announcement that "limited" research would be
performed.  She asked "What if there is some amazing breakthrough in a
year or two based on the stem cell research that ends.  Suppose that in two
years you could go to the hospital, spend an hour or so in outpatient surgery
getting cloned stem cells injected into your liver and then within a few days
you'd be cured of your diabetes.  No immunosuppressants, no nasty drugs,
just a big shot under local anesthesia right into your liver and you're cured.
 Would you accept it?  What would you do when the cost of Humalog went
up because of decreased demand or it even became unavailable?  What if
the question was whether or not to give the cure to one of our sons?"

I'm still pondering, studying and praying on this one.  The flippant "I'd
refuse the cure" answer just doesn't work, especially if it concerns a child.
The "I'm ready for it now" answer doesn't work either...  The only answer
I've gotten so far is that this is a very difficult question.

It brings to mind one of the quandaries that was addressed in the early
years of the Roman Catholic church - where the question arose about
whether or not a Mass said by an "evil priest" was valid as a means of grace
for the recipients, or whether a baptism performed by an "evil priest" was
valid.  In their time, an "evil priest" would have been a priest who had
recanted the faith when threatened with death (rather than accept a
martyr's death) or a priest who had some moral failure.

The question reduces to whether a good end can possibly come through a
corrupt vehicle...

Rev. Randall Winchester
WD4HVA (email @ redacted)