[IPr] (Fwd) [IP] Something to ponder

I am just Forwarding this message in an attempt to stimulate

From:           	"Dianne" <email @ redacted>

I was wondering.....  How do they know, if the embryo that they are
taking stem cells from, is one that, if left alone(meaning actually
being implanted and becoming a person) wouldn't have developed
diabetes sometime in it's lifetime? Maybe another way of putting it
is....if at the time any of you (or my son) were an embryo and they
took you (as an embryo) to use in stem cell research and put
those stem cells in someone else to cure their diabetes, how
would it work?  Would they be cured for (as in my son's case) 6
years and then become diabetic again (He was 6 when he got
diabetes) or what?  Do they test the stem cells for whatever they
test brothers and sisters of diabetic people to see if they have a
chance of becoming diabetic? I don't know if I'm making myself
clear. It's hard to put this question in writing so you can understand
what I'm saying. In other words, how do they know if an embryo's
stem cells are useable?  I really haven't read enough on the subject
to understand that part. Dianne, Mom of Johnny 9