Re: [IPr] Anyone there????

On 2 Aug 00, at 7:44, Flame & Vixen. wrote:

> I've been really wondering, too, if this list was simply quietly fading into
> nothingness.  I hope not, because I really like having the opportunity to
> hear other people's views & get a "lift" from reading their thoughts & ideas
> in a smaller forum than the IP list...are we all still here, just kind of
> waiting for everyone else to say something?  :)

Most of us are just busy on other things.  My time to read and respond to
email is limited and tends to come in chunks several days apart.  I also like
to take a little time to compose a reply if more than a few lines are needed.
In the past month I've been the Spiritual Director for a Chrysalis Flight,
took some vacation time, made a business trip to St. Louis, taught Sunday
School three Sundays, attended a technology conference with the school
teachers from the local school systems and even managed to find some time
to play with my boys.  About the only thing I haven't done this month is
preach somewhere...

I've got to dig out my t-shirt that I made several years ago for a retreat I
was working on - in big letters across the front it's got "RENT-A-
PREACHER" and underneath that it's got an appropriate cartoon...

There are serious spiritual implications connected with diabetes, and they
are an important part of any effort to manage the condition.  Many of us
have developed strategies to help us deal with some of the events like
depression and frustration.  When I find myself in those situations I make a
special effort to spend a little more time in the morning and evenings
reading from the Bible.  I often follow a reading pattern similar to that
available online at http://www.satucket.com/lectionary/
(I don't agree with some of their theology and little of their politics, but
the lectionary readings are excellent)

For day to day humor I often check http://www.botcw.com/thom/ for the
latest Church of the Covered Dish cartoon.  I know the cartoonist (he's
another Baptist preacher, except he's still working in his church) and so the
cartoons take on a little more of an edge since I understand a the

I've published my list of important things to remember, and since it's been
a while I'll review them and post them here for comments in the near
future...  and just so anyone doesn't get all upset, here's the disclaimer:

I'm a Southern Baptist minister, and that means I'm one of those Southern
Gentlemen (I've got the documents to prove that! - y'all can just call me
Rev. Col. Winchester) who tend to be a strange mix of conservative on some
issues, liberal on others, while being stubborn and opinionated at all times.
Unlike some of my collegues,  I'm not bothered by what other people choose
to believe, since your error doesn't threaten my faith...   that is as long as
you keep the discussion civil to me and any other people, including the ones
that we both disagree with.

As a result of this, I've had opportunities to work alongside all kinds of
interesting people in various situations.  I do criticize certain behaviors
when necessary, especially those that I consider to be sinful, uncivilized or
dangerous.  I try not to criticize persons, because my faith requires that I
recognize all persons as created in the image of God and treasured by Him
(even when he grieves over their errors).

Given all that background, I'm also available to discuss spiritual issues via
email or even telephone if necessary.  Just understand that my spritual
framework is othodox Christianity (Southern flavor) and that's where I
speak from...

Now that we've got all that out of the way, and scared off anyone who isn't
up to reading a lot...  how many of our participants have ever encountered
the statement or attitude that says "your diabetes is the result of some sin
in your life" or "your diabetes is punishment for something"?  I'd like to
present some thoughts that show us that these statements are not accurate
and we don't have to feel guilty for having diabetes...  Stay tuned while I
locate my notes on that...

Rev. Randall Winchester
WD4HVA (email @ redacted)