[IPp] Re: Weight gain and diabetes

My daughter is almost 16, has had diabetes for 11 years and is also
 overweight. Why is she overweight? Yes, she is a carb lover and is not a sports
 but I do believe that her diabetes has something to do with it. There are days
when she is low and can consume quite a number of calories to get her blood
sugar up. I also think it's partly psychological, resulting from the early
 years of the strict "diabetes diet" deprivation. I remember many times when she
had eaten her "diabetes exchange" allotment and was still hungry.  Or she was
eating her sugar free pop while her classmates were eating cupcakes for a
 birthday party. When she went on the pump (4 years ago) things changed. There
a lot more freedom with carb counting and she went a little crazy.  And in a
way, it's understandable, but of course, it's a problem. By the way, she goes
to diabetes camp and many of the girls in her bunk were also overweight, so it
seems to be very common. Now she's trying a low carb "diet" but is sometimes
sabotaged by lows that force her to add calories for the day.