[IPp] Re: attire for pumpin' toddler

Hi Natalie,

If Andrea wants to wear her pump outside to show it off - I would let
her do that and see how it does.  It's good that she has a positive
attitude about it, and you want to keep that!   I've been surprised at
how well the infusion sites stick to our daughter Sigrid, even just
using SkinPrep (nothing stronger).   So they could take quite a tug,
and be unaffected.

  Sigrid has worn a pump since she was seventeen months old.  What works
for us is the following:

(1) She always wears the pump in a fanny pack (pump under tummy).  We
have four of them, to allow for spills, washing, swimming/bathing etc.
You can get them from pumppouch.com (custom made for Andrea's waist
size, in your choice of fabrics).  Or, of course, you could make them

(2) We try to always tuck the fanny pack and tubing into her pants -
she's always wearing fairly loose, elastic-waist pants or panties of
some type.  With dresses, if the dress didn't come with panties, I get
her a pair of bike-type shorts in a coordinating color to wear
underneath.  Once she's wearing either a dress or a shirt (not tucked
into the pants) you usually can't see the bulge in her pants.  This
keeps the tubing from getting snagged (also keeps the cats from
attacking it!)  Keeping the pump and tubing out of sight also means
that the other kids at daycare aren't tempted to try to play with it.

(3) Since the Cozmo is waterproof, you have this option - for bathing
or swimming, she just continues to wear the pump in its pouch, and then
we change her into a dry pouch when bath/swim is over.   I found a
swimsuit which had a little skirt attached which camouflaged the bulge
quite well - but it was a one-piece and this turned out to be
inconvenient for pump access.  Next summer, I'll try harder to find a
two-piece with a skirt attached.

(4) When getting clothes for Andrea, keep in mind whether they'll work
with the pump.  Right now, we need to pass up the pants which aren't
loose enough to tuck the pump inside.  When Sigrid is older, I assume
she'll wear the pack outside her clothes and it won't be such an issue.

Congratulations on the pump!

- Maria
mom to 23 m.o. Sigrid, dx'd 11mos., pumping w/Cozmo since 17 mos.