nurse's office.

From: email @ redacted
Date:  Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:59:53 -0400

Hi Julia,

Our school district nurse told us that OSHAs blood borne
pathogen law prevented Noah from testing in the classroom.
 I called the state health department and they said "no,
diabetics bg testing is not considered hazardous."  I told
her that and she backed down immediately.  I don't think
she was trying to pull anything...I think she just
believed that without bothering to check.  She then tried
to sway us by saying that all the other diabetics before
Noah tested in her office and the only problem was one
time when a student had a low and fell down the steps on
his way to her office to test but didn't get hurt!  Like
that's going to convince me!  Yeah, right!  Our district
policy before Noah was to assign a student to accompany
the diabetic student to the nurse's office whenever he/she
suspected a low.  Can you imagine the burden/resentment on
that assigned student and the embarrassment of the
diabetic student who is forced to have a "caretaker?"
 Anyway, Noah is the first student in his school district
to test his bgs in the classroom or anywhere/anytime.  We
also have that written up in his Section 504 Plan.

Cindy, mom to 16 y/o Noah, dx age 9, pumping since 6/99

LifeScan, Inc. http://www.lifescan.com