From: email @ redacted
[mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of Tepua
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 1:53 PM
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPp] gym teachers @%#$%

You are not alone in frustrations with schools. Our Annelyse is an 8th grader
and we have faced this issue over and over. Despite our having an educational
meeting with all her teachers at the beginning of the school year, there are
still comments. Not only made to students, but also other parents. We have come
to see it an overall cultural issue. People think that they DO know about
diabetes. They may have had family members treated years ago or current family
members with type 2. They get information from the media is is often out-dated,
at best, or totally false, at their worst.

As an educator I am endlessly frustrated by educators that refuse to be
educated. Our school district here seems to be particularily bad. We have
totally had it and have put our house on the market. Now we will face educating
a whole new district. After 9 years  of "banging our heads against the wall"
with this one, we are ready to move on and give another system a chance.

 My advice would be to get as calm as you can and talk to the teacher. Go in
whatever you may have from ADA or JDA in printed information or print something
off the web. If the teacher doesn't respond well to this, head for the office
and or the counseling office. If you feel confident in speaking to groups, ask
to talk to all of her teachers in a meeting. The teacher most definately had
mis-information and made a HUGE mistake. The school needs to understand that
although it was a mistake, mis-information coming from school staff can be very
 hard to "un-do". They really need to join with you in an effort to un-do this
the best of their abilities.

I know how hard it is to not be just furious about this. Our kids go through so
much that the world just don't understand. I know how much I try to protect her
 from having to face anything more. I'm convinced that it is really going to
educating the public as a whole. As long as the public thinks that they "know
all about diabetes", we will face the frustrations of knowing that they clearly
don't . It WILL continue to show up in the classroom if that education doesn't
happen. Clearly a gym teacher or a health teacher should be more informed.
However, those of us with the most information are the ones that are going to
need to inform them.

Best of Luck with all of this. If you'd like our girls to get a chance to
e-mail, please let me know.