Re: [IPp] gym teachers @%#$%

You are not alone in frustrations with schools. Our Annelyse is an 8th
grader and we have faced this issue over and over. Despite our having an
educational meeting with all her teachers at the beginning of the school
year, there are still comments. Not only made to students, but also other
parents. We have come to see it an overall cultural issue. People think that
they DO know about diabetes. They may have had family members treated years
ago or current family members with type 2. They get information from the
media is is often out-dated, at best, or totally false, at their worst.

As an educator I am endlessly frustrated by educators that refuse to be
educated. Our school district here seems to be particularily bad. We have
totally had it and have put our house on the market. Now we will face
educating a whole new district. After 9 years  of "banging our heads against
the wall" with this one, we are ready to move on and give another system a

My advice would be to get as calm as you can and talk to the teacher. Go in
with whatever you may have from ADA or JDA in printed information or print
something off the web. If the teacher doesn't respond well to this, head for
the office and or the counseling office. If you feel confident in speaking
to groups, ask to talk to all of her teachers in a meeting. The teacher most
definately had mis-information and made a HUGE mistake. The school needs to
understand that although it was a mistake, mis-information coming from
school staff can be very hard to "un-do". They really need to join with you
in an effort to un-do this to the best of their abilities.

I know how hard it is to not be just furious about this. Our kids go through
so much that the world just don't understand. I know how much I try to
protect her from having to face anything more. I'm convinced that it is
really going to take educating the public as a whole. As long as the public
thinks that they "know all about diabetes", we will face the frustrations of
knowing that they clearly don't . It WILL continue to show up in the
classroom if that education doesn't happen. Clearly a gym teacher or a
health teacher should be more informed. However, those of us with the most
information are the ones that are going to need to inform them.

Best of Luck with all of this. If you'd like our girls to get a chance to
e-mail, please let me know.