[IPp] Re: Copy of Matthews IEP (very long)

Hi Sarah,
     Yes, I agree, your IEP was very thorough!!  I can't imagine anyone
connected with schools in Canada ever reading such long documents.  I have
presented teachers with a 10 minute reading summary of diabetes and have had
them ask me "Which part do I have to read?".  Now I make them sit down with
me and listen to my presentation, (had nurses/CDEs do it a couple of times
and they were awful) and I know that their brains are just spinning.
     Claire is in grade 3, but has had 5 different schools and 6 different
teachers in her life, not counting pre-school (dx at age 2).  I dread
educating the new ones every year.  At least at this new school, there are 2
other DM kids, the first time we've experienced this.  The parents of the
little one in grade 1 have really done a lot of training and stuff for the
school, (so I've heard), but now the school seems to think that DM is totally
dangerous for this 6 year old, but is not a big deal at all for the 11 year
old boy, nor for my daughter.  I always stress that DM is serious for ALL
kids, and that is why I don't like the confusion with Type 2 issues.
     I go to the school every day at lunch to check bgs and calculate bolus
amounts.  I'm happier this year as one of the playground supervisors/lunch
monitors is very nice and has a young nephew with  DM.  (The one last year
complained to the principal of the school about me the first day--the old
biddy!). But she showed me her sheet of medical info on certain kids--she
carries it in a fanny pack at all times--and there was no mention of my
daughter.  Its most annoying--I spoke to the principal in June and again in
late August about Claire and DM.
     I know its different for you in the USA who have some legal protection
on these issues, but I don't like to trust my daughter's care to anyone.
They just forget things too easily.  At least now when morning snack is
"forgotten" by the teacher, it shouldn't result in a serious low, as happened
when Claire was only 4 years old. In the UK the headmaster wasn't even told
about medical problems--it just wasn't considered his responsibility.  If you
didn't like it you were quite welcome to leave the school and go elsewhere.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8