Re: [IPp] IEP instead of 504

In a message dated 9/27/2002 7:59:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> You have been down this road before though, so I appreciate your input on
> this.  If you feel that it is absolutely important to have both, I will
> first push my lawyer for it, and then let her push the school for it.  (I
> am pretty much washing my hands of this school at this point and letting
> my lawyer handle everything from here on out....I was blindsided
> yesterday, BIG TIME, and I feel that it was totally unnecessary!)  They
> knew well in advance that they were going to throw the IEP at me instead
> of the 504.  They knew my lawyer was not going to be there, and they did
> not give me any time to find out more information about the IEP before
> the meeting.  I still think that was incredibly shady of them, but,
> what's new?  I knew I was up against some pretty crappy people, so why
> should I have been surprised.  I never should have gone in there without
> my lawyer.  My mistake.  It will never happen again!

It seems that we are never finished learning from our so called mistakes.  To
be hyper aware and hyper vigilant means you might also have to be slightly
paranoid or at least very suspicious all of the time.  It's hard to maintain
that mindset - it's also emotionally draining and harmful to the individual.
I've been there.  So forgive yourself, and just put what happened behind you
as you seem to be doing and let your lawyer handle field the attitudes that
are so hurtful to you.