Re: [IPp] IEP instead of 504

Matthew has an IEP with his school instead of a 504. The reason he has an IEP
is because he also gets speech therapy at school and is under the Other
Health Impairment therefor qualifying him for an IEP.  I am totally fine with
the IEP and in fact I'd prefer one over a 504. I feel it has a tad more power
and protection. After speaking with several Parent Advocacy groups here in CT
and with the State of Ct along with our Endo, everyone told me that the IEP
is better and stronger. However, when Matthew no longer needs speech therapy
we will switch over to the 504. And it is my understanding that we still meet
yearly and have what is called a PPT meeting to go over and review Matthew's
file and medical needs as well as educational needs.  And if I ever want a
meeting before the one year mark...I may have one.  I also have a "case
worker" for Matthew at his school which happens to be his speech teacher and
that really doesn't mean anything as far as I can tell.  She just does the
paper work from meetings and takes minutes and puts it all together for his
Go with the IEP if you can, but my question is why? Why are they saying she
needs an IEP...because she has to be declared with something in order to
qualify for an IEP...meaning speach and language impairment or autism,
deafness, hearing impairment, or an other health impairment such as: having
limited strength, vitality or alertness due to chronic or acute health
problems which includes diabetes by the way...but the diabetes must make it
more difficult for the child to learn and that has to be proven or have a
specific learning disability.
I hope I am not confusing you and if I am feel free to email me or call me
anytime. I will email you privately with my home phone number. I have a slew
of info from the CT State of Parent and Advocacy and I have put together a
binder for me to keep all of my "diabetes" stuff in.
Hope I have helped...

Victoria (7) Non-D...Love My kids!