Re: [IPp] Precision Xtra ketone testing

In a message dated 9/24/2002 8:02:34 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> .  They suggested making sure it's a big bead of blood, and
> then sort of rolling your finger side-to-side over the oval window until
> you
> get the dashes.

This is what works for us and, yes, after using the One Touch Ultra, it seems
one huge drop of blood is required.  Ketostix *are* definitely easier to use.
 Although we've never had anything greater than trace ketones to deal with
(before or since pumping), We use the Xtra for a couple of reasons:  First,
my adolescent daughter *hates* the idea of having to go "pee on a stick" and
thus will avoid checking for ketones if at all possible -- whereas with the
Xtra meter, she doesn't mind at all, even though it does take a big drop of
blood.  I also like the idea that it's giving me a *current* measurement of
actual blood ketones.  It's also nice that I can check her for ketones at
night without waking her up.  Sometimes when I do a late night BG check and
she's popped up really high and I'm pretty sure it's hormones and not a set
problem (and so far always has been hormones), it's been reassuring to be
able to check and make sure that that 375 BG isn't also accompanied by
ketones without having to wake her up . . . We don't use it that much and the
ketostix certainly get the job done, but having the Xtra to measure ketones
with is really nice to have.

Pumpmama to Katie