Re: [IPp] re:teen troubles

> Well... Eve's up to it again. She had a soccer game yesterday, this
> was an away game, and got in the van after an hour long bus ride
> from the game and said "I don't feel good." It's a five minute ride
> home, checks her bg's at home and she is HI.
> What is she thinking??? She had one of her many meters WITH her in
> her SOCCER BAG.  She could have checked herself ON the BUS right
> after the game.
> Who knows how long before 7pm she was HI, but at 9:45pm she was
> still HI on her meter, By 11pm she was 518. She gave at least 25
> units for corrections. Did she bolus back the insulin she missed
> after she took her pump off for the game?? NO.  (sigh) At least she
> didn't have ketones.
> I suggested after the second HI that she should change her site,
> because that might be the problem. But she knows better. "It's not
> the site, mom".
> All this after the other day when, before gym, she was 250, didn't
> bolus down for her high, took her pump off for an hour for gym (they
> had swimming)and at lunch wondered why she was 432!!!
> We had an appointment with her endo on Oct. 11, but they called and
> her Endo, for some reason, isn't going to be there that day. So we
> have to reschedule for Oct. 31 which is the first opening. I'm not
> sure i can wait that long to bring her in.
> Thank you for letting me vent here.

Hi Deborah,

You need some exercise rules for Eve. No physical activity with bg's
under 80 or over 180, or over 200 and comming down pretty fast. Lily
always had those rules and still uses them though she is on her own
now. This helps reinforce good control AND will cause the coach and
team mates to remind her to check since they will want her to be able
to play.