Re: [IPp] Teen troubles

Miriam, thanks for sharing your response (below the clip) - I'm repeating it
because I want to share it again & save it.  I'll have a teen with diabetes in
the not too distant future....he'll be 8 later this year, but with a big
brother & big sister, he may want to be acting like a teen even earlier.  This
gives some great ways to help them, and reminds us all not to be afraid to seek
professional help.  It sure helped me in the year after Luke's initial

> The one thing they all had in common was that they all agreed (in
> hindsight) that their parents should have kept helping them with their
> diabetes care.  They may have resented it when they were teenagers, but
> looking back they all felt that taking care of diabetes is too hard a job
> for any ONE person, whether they are a child, a teenager or an adult.

There was a study, pointed out to us in our Joslin support group, of teen
compliance.  It looked at adolescents and compliance over a long period. The
standard twenty five years ago was to make children and teens as independent
as possible as early as possible.  The result, they found, was that these
kids burnt out in their teens and dropped out of diabetes care to varying
degrees, with some disasterous health consequences then or later on in life.

The new thinking, also well researched with large samples, is to involve
parents in every aspect of diabetes care throughout adolescence. Kids with
parents who stay involved do better in the long run. Findings indicate that
kids need their parents in adolescence as much or more than ever.  This
finding translates to other aspects of their lives as well.
Of course, we all have problems with our teens (I had a teenager once, who is
grown now, and know how tough the relationships become). My solution is to
seek professional family intervention - it helped then, and it is helping
now. Also, the camps reinforce and introduce new learnings.  When the kids
come home, they own the information, so the management model can be more
cooperative, less top down authority.  Also, they model how to manage
diabetes during sports - they play soccer, check bg before, during after, do
the necessary corrections, refrain from playing if high or ketones are
present, have someone present who can sit out a low with the child, assist if
necessary.  The kids see how it is done, and repeat it over and over and
over, in a nice peer group context.

Do you Yahoo!?