[IPp] re:teen troubles

Hi,

I just discovered the Parents-of-Pumpers mail! Feel stupid I didn't
notice
it before.

Anyway, I DO have a teen, and I can tell you that punishing them for
non-compliance will not work. Obviously, they shouldn't be able to drive
if
they aren't testing. That is safety, not punishment. However, having
friends
over, watching a movie, etc, should not have anything to do with their
diabetes.

You can work in positive ways toward acceptance. That is the key. My son
was
diagnosed at 10, and for years did things right 99% of the time. His
senior
year in high school he began to slip a little, and the freshman year in
college was really tough. But when he came home, we got him to a
counselor
who helped him face the fact that he is stuck with diabetes, and work on
ways to make taking care of himself easier.

We have helped and supported him all along. But there comes a time when
they
really want to be independent, and they do fight you. Just persist. Keep
trying, and keep reassuring your child that things will be ok. These
kids
are facing adulthood, and they are realizing that they will really have
diabetes for their entire lives, unless we get lucky with a cure. It can
be
a daunting and depressing thing.

We had a lot of trouble getting coaches to do their part, when my son
was in
high school. they never seemed to realize just how diabetes worked, no
matter what I did. That is a seperate issue.

My main point is, do not punish your child for having diabetes, no
matter
how poorly you think he or she is doing in the "compliance" area. Just
keep
supporting, keep reminding, and keep praying. Tell them you love them
and
that you will always be there to help them while they grow up. Don't
give
up.

Katie