RE: [IPp] Teen troubles

I'm sorry, I wish I had some great suggestions about how to get your teenage
child to do what they should, but I don't.

I did want to pass on something from our visit to Bearskin Meadows family
camp this past August.  At camp they held a session where four of the
counselors (age 19-23) discussed growing up with diabetes.  A lot of the
discussion centered on difficulties during the teenage years.

The four counselors had VERY different stories of how they reacted/behaved
during their teens.  One was completely non-compliant and skipped boluses to
lose weight, one felt he could skip testing and just guestimate some boluses
periodically and "still get decent A1Cs", so that's what he did.  One was
very compliant and dependent on her parents, and the last one took his
diabetes very seriously and tested frequently and always bolused etc.  The
less compliant teens discussed their struggles with their parents, and how
mad it made them, at the time, that their parents wouldn't "let them be".
The counselor who had been so dependent on her parents talked about the
difficulty she had adjusting to taking care of herself when she went away to
college.  The one thing they all had in common was that they all agreed (in
hindsight) that their parents should have kept helping them with their
diabetes care.  They may have resented it when they were teenagers, but
looking back they all felt that taking care of diabetes is too hard a job
for any ONE person, whether they are a child, a teenager or an adult.

Rick M.