Re: [IPp] Teen troubles

>says this is common with teens and suggested I let him "go in alone" for
a day

>and see what happens, but I'm afraid he'll just end up "HI" and not do

Dear Carol,

I am so sorry, I know that my time is coming (jessy is still only 8, and
likes being responsible at this age....so far anyway.....knock on wood)
I'd like to share a story with you from a woman who was diagnosed at 11
months old, and who is now in her mid 30's:

When she was in highschool, her parents wanted to take a vacation to
Florida, they left their 5 children with the grandparents, and this woman
became very distressed that her parents were actually leaving her because
she had diabetes and they were going to miss a very important basketball
game of hers.  She thought she would "show them" and took to much insulin
while she was at school, and of course, passed out from a low.  To make a
long story short, when she called her parents from the emergency room,
they refused to come home, and told her she was not going to run their
lives.  She stayed in the hospital for a day and a half, no one was
aloowed to visit her, she had to go it alone.  Bottom line, she never did
anything remotely like that again.  She grew up and started taking better
care of herself.  Her mother later told her that it was the hardest thing
she had ever done in her life, and cried for hours afterwards, but she
had to put her ! foot down.

I know that this is not your problem, that your problem is your son not
checking his sugars and going high, but maybe if he ends up in the
hospital with ketones, if you were to put your foot down, and make sure
that he is not "pampered" while in the hospital.....no tv, no visitors,
no phone calls....he might rethink the entire blood checking issue, and
be more careful.  I know threatening him now will only be "blown off"
with a "that's not going to happen to me" response, but if it actually
gets to that point (which I truly hope it does not) you may want to teach
him a lesson in responsibility.

Having a "buddy" sounds great, but kids at that age just don't seem to
understand those kinds of responsibilities (unless of course, he has a
girl he is trying to impress......lol.....then it might do him a world of
good, showing her how responsible he is!)

Maybe you should cry a little too, I'm sure the last thing he wants to do
is make his Mom cry........guilt usually works real well (By the way, I
do not make it a habbit of "guilting" my kids into doing what is right,
it just happens sometimes)

(1)non diab.