Re: [IPp] Teen troubles

In a message dated 9/19/02 12:03:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> My CDE suggested calling Animas and requesting a pump pal around Devin's age
> who is being responsible and in good control.  Has anyone tried this?

     All I can tell you is Melissa and her CDE started a Teen group a few
years ago - 22 kids showed up the first night & I thought we'd reinvented the
wheel - yeah right! NOT....seems most of them had been dragged there on a
"just go once" threat...so not surprisingly, the attendance quickly dwindled &
 the group fell apart...what was interesting is that one mom said her then 13
yr old said " if I'm doing great, why would I want to sit & listen to kids
complain about how awful this is; if I'm doing awful, the last thing I want
to do is listen to some "goody 2 shoes" and lastly, why do I even have to be
in the same room with these kids whom I'd never speak to otherwise, just
because we happen to have diabetes in common????...Hard to argue with
adolescent logic!!!
     Although I've all but LIVED in cyberspace/ diabetes support land for
years now, Melissa has NEVER availed herself of the opportunities to connect
with others, but hopefully she "absorbs" the "gems" I pass on to her from
     One of the worst facets of diabetes I've found is that it completely
skews the normal developmental adolescent stage of pulling away from
parents...instead our kids constantly have us IN THEIR FACES, asking "and
what was your blood sugar today at lunch?".........sigh
Renee (Melissa's pump mom)