Re: [IPp] Teen troubles

> Help! My son is not checking his BG at school like he should.  I
> don't want to insist that he go to the nurse every time like last
> year.  He's 14 yrs. old and knows how to and what to do, but just
> doesn't want to be bothered. Frankly, insisting that he go to the
> nurse only takes the responsibility off of him and gets him out of
> class which he doesn't mind at all.  Yes, it would solve things in
> the short term and his numbers would be better, but in the long-term
> I don't think this would help him to be more responsible.  My CDE
> says this is common with teens and suggested I let him "go in alone"
> for a day and see what happens, but I'm afraid he'll just end up
> "HI" and not do anything.

Let him go, but impose these rules:
no food, physical activity - sports, swimming, etc... if above 180
He should be doing this anyway, but this is a way to make him more
aware. He will also find that if he's interested in sports, his body
won't perform as well or as long if he's high, in addition, his
vision will probably be slightly blurred and his mind not quite as
quick. This will impair his ability and speed at getting homework
done. If you point these things out to him, he may start to notice
them and take some action on his own.