[IPp] Teen troubles

Help! My son is not checking his BG at school like he should.  I don't want to
insist that he go to the nurse every time like last year.  He's 14 yrs. old
and knows how to and what to do, but just doesn't want to be bothered.
Frankly, insisting that he go to the nurse only takes the responsibility off
of him and gets him out of class which he doesn't mind at all.  Yes, it would
solve things in the short term and his numbers would be better, but in the
long-term I don't think this would help him to be more responsible.  My CDE
says this is common with teens and suggested I let him "go in alone" for a day
and see what happens, but I'm afraid he'll just end up "HI" and not do
anything.  He will check his BG if he feels low, but just lets those highs go
by.  At school he's not eating lunch very often so he doesn't have to bolus.
I've been correcting for highs when he gets home, but by that time he's in the
3-400's.   I really don't want to resort to bribery.  Any suggestions?