Re: [IPp] toddler on pump

Cindy, I absolutely agree with you, I think they should start them off on
the pump.  I never heard of the pump until a friend of mine suggested it.
Then I researched it and pushed for Josh to go on the pump.  Josh is the
first 2 year old to be put on the pump at CHOP (children's hosptial of
Philadelphia).  They have since put 10 more toddlers on the pump.  I think
if any age it should be while they are younger.  Do you know how hard it is
to tell an 11mth old you have to eat cuz he was on shots.  So I wish they
would have started us off with the pump from the very beginning as
well....Training for the pump isn't hard at all.

Angela M. Havrilak, mom to Josh dx'd at 9 mths, pumping since 3/02

                      "Cindy Lattimer"
                      <email @ redacted>              To:       email @ redacted
                      Sent by:                           cc:
                      email @ redacted        Subject:  Re: [IPp] toddler on pump
                      pumpers.org

                      09/17/02 09:37 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Parents-of-Pumpers

Can the novolog be used in syringe in case we need to do an

>emergency shot, or should I carry
Dear Angela,

I wish we had started on the pump sooner too.  I really think that when
these children are diagnosed in the beginning, they should put them
directly on the pump, and while they are there in the hospital, regulate
their basal rates.  While they are training the parents on diabetes, they
should also be training them on how to use the pump.  It really does make
a world of difference for these children (and adults, too.)

Cindy

(1)non diab.