Re: [IPp] Scales

Dear Marisa,

Thanks for your info on the scale, too.......Oh, I guess I will have to
just torture myself and go into Bed Bath and Beyond to look for it (it's
my favorite store....lol)

Cindy

(1)non diab.>From: "Marisa Schmidt" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: >Subject: Re: [IPp] Scales
>Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:55:32 -0400 > >Insulin Pumpers is made
possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in industry.
Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so
that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes community.
Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your
annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >I
like the Soehnle scale because it is accurate. The one I have also has
>keys that allow you to program carb factors. It will actually then tell
you >the grams of carbs in the portion you weigh. It also gives
cholesterol >counts and some other dietary info. I don't use any of that
and have never >bothered to program in my carb factors. I would just
recommend when buying >a scale that you get one that weighs in 1 gram
increments, has a tare >function, and it should weigh up to at least 2 kg
(some plates are pretty >heavy). I like that my scale also weighs in
ounces. When I buy packages of >meat I sometimes split them up and freeze
smaller packages and I weigh them >and mark the package with the weight.
> >The scale I use to go out with is not super small. It's about 7" in
>diameter. It's not meant to be portable, but is small enough for me that
it >works well for the purpose. I bought it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for
$25, >but I believe it was on sale from $30. Wal-Mart also has a digital
scale >for about the same price, but I don't shop at Wal-Mart since they
fired the >type 1 pharmacist for taking time off to test and eat. When I
looked at >their scale, it seemed like it wouldn't travel as well. It was
rectangular >and looked a little bit larger. > >You can order scales
on-line at
>http://www.diabetesnet.com/ishop/default.php?cPath=28&osCsid=c5196ec303e2d53
>e83e7d4856e35215f > >I have the Diet-Health Computer Scale, but I think
I would have been just as >happy with one of the less expensive models. >
>Good luck :) > >Marisa > >----- Original Message ----- >From: "Susan
Borkowsky" >To: >Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 5:29 PM >Subject: Re:
[IPp] Scales > > > > I really liked the scale idea but have had no luck
finding one. I haven't >gone > > way out of my way looking but I would
imagine something like a Home >Outfitters > > store may have one? Or are
they just lines and such? I think that makes >the > > most sense too.
Thank you for reminding me why!! ; ) What is so special >about > > the
Soehnle scale? The one you take along with you, is it small(er)? I
>suppose > > it would make sense to have one to take to school or out
anywhere. > > > > Susan > > > > Marisa Schmidt wrote: > > > > > Insulin
Pumpers is made possible by contributions from forum > > > members and
supporters in industry. Your tax deductible donation > > > of $1.00 or
$2.00 per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can > > > continue to
serve you and diabetes community. Please visit: > > > > > >
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > > > > > > Your annual
contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > > > > > > It
is definitely a YMMV thing, but I LOVE our scale. I use it along >with >
> > the carb factors in the Pumping Insulin book. It's wonderful for
pizza, > > > pasta, potatoes, fruit, bread, etc. I no longer try to
decide whether >the > > > apple we have is really "medium" and a hunk of
French or Italian bread >is so > > > easy. When eating pasta, rice,
bread, etc., I put the plate on the >scale > > > and have Scott tell me
how much he wants, then we measure and bolus. >And if > > > he doesn't
finish it all, I can easily find out how much he has left. > > > > > >
New foods and combination dinners are easy too. At first I estimate and >
> > soon I have a good carb factor and no longer have to guess. > > > > >
> I bought a Soehnle scale from the Diabetes Mall for home and I have a
>$25 > > > scale I got from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for when we go out. > >
> Do you all find it easier to use a scale for finding carb totals in
>foods? > > > I > > > > have never used one. For pasta I just say that a
cup of cooked pasta >is > > > 45g > > > > of carbs and we have never had
a problem. After actually measuring it >in a > > > > cup and putting it
on the plate a bunch of times, I am now able to >"eye" > > > it. > > > >
dxd 3/99 and > > > > Victoria (7) Non-D...Love My kids! > > >