Re: [IPp] Re: Scales

Dear Barbara,

Thank you for the info on the scale.  I got mine for $6.00 at WallMart,
and it isn't very good at all.......I'll have to check out some better

email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Re: Scales >Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 01:46:39 EDT > >Insulin Pumpers is made possible by
contributions from forum >members and supporters in industry. Your tax
deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so that
Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes community. Please
visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your annual
contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >I have to
say that I just LOVE our scale. It is the greatest thing for >pumpers!! I
also use it with the carb factors from the Pumping Insulin >book. > >I
made up a little sheet of the carb factors using gel pens on black paper
>(Claire liked that) of all the foods that she actually eats and put it
on the >fridge. I did have to do a bit more research on the carb factors
using the >Canadian Diabetes Association book, which is quite detailed
with weights, >carbs etc. (For example, I never knew if the carb factor
for a peach >included weighing the pit or not, or if you were supposed to
weigh an orange >peeled or unpeeled). Having a scale makes it so easy to
just pour out a bowl >of potato chips, or cereal or grapes etc. Also, you
know how little ones >love to pick out candies and put their selection in
little paper bags--well >all you have to do is weigh them after purchase
and you know the carbs. I'm >so happy that Claire can now do these little
things and feel like a contented >child. > >I also work out the carb
factors for home baking. Add up the recipe, weigh >the entire batch after
baking, divide the total weigh and carbs and write it >down for the next
time!! Don't forget that part. > >Susan, I also had a hard time finding a
scale. You might try phoning a >restaurant supply store in Winnipeg. This
was suggested to me, and our town >had one supply store, which stocked
one scale. > > But the dietician also gave me the name of a mail order
place. I ordered >our scale from Nasco Canada. Their phone number is
(519) 662-2540, they are >in Ontario. I think they have a 800 number, but
it isn't printed on my >receipt and I have thrown away their catalogue.
If you phone them you can >ask to have the catalogue sent to you. I think
it was called Nutrition >Aids--just say you want the one with the gram
scales in it. They sell all >sorts of things for dieticians--plastic food
etc!! > They have several scales to choose from, but not all weigh to one
gram >units. I picked the Multipurpose Digital Scale, for $90.85. With
shipping and >tax it came to $109.91. They are much cheaper in the US
online, but with the >exchange rate and everything added on they add up
to about the same price I >think. > >Barbara, Mum of Claire 8