Re: [IPp] Scales

I like the Soehnle scale because it is accurate.  The one I have also has
keys that allow you to program carb factors.  It will actually then tell you
the grams of carbs in the portion you weigh.  It also gives cholesterol
counts and some other dietary info.  I don't use any of that and have never
bothered to program in my carb factors.  I would just recommend when buying
a scale that you get one that weighs in 1 gram increments, has a tare
function, and it should weigh up to at least 2 kg (some plates are pretty
heavy).  I like that my scale also weighs in ounces.  When I buy packages of
meat I sometimes split them up and freeze smaller packages and I weigh them
and mark the package with the weight.

The scale I use to go out with is not super small.  It's about 7" in
diameter.  It's not meant to be portable, but is small enough for me that it
works well for the purpose.  I bought it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for $25,
but I believe it was on sale from $30.  Wal-Mart also has a digital scale
for about the same price, but I don't shop at Wal-Mart since they fired the
type 1 pharmacist for taking time off to test and eat.  When I looked at
their scale,  it seemed like it wouldn't travel as well.  It was rectangular
and looked a little bit larger.

You can order scales on-line at
http://www.diabetesnet.com/ishop/default.php?cPath=28&osCsid=c5196ec303e2d53
e83e7d4856e35215f

I have the Diet-Health Computer Scale, but I think I would have been just as
happy with one of the less expensive models.

Good luck :)

Marisa