Re: [IPp] Toddler on pump

Dear Angela,

Jessy is 8 (will be 9 in December).  She is so much happier on the
pump....I couldn't believe the difference between this past summer and
the summer before. (Of course, the summer before, she hadn't been
diagnosed yet)

Cindy

email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Toddler on pump
>Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:10:53 -0400 > >Insulin Pumpers is made
possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in industry.
Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so
that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes community.
Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your
annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >Dear
Cindy, Thank you. Jessy's situation sounds like my son Joshua. I >was so
impressed with his A1cs this time. Good luck to you on your next >report.
How old is Jessy? Pls keep me posted.... > > >Angela M. Havrilak, mom to
Josh dx'd at 9 mths, pumping since 3/02 > > > > > > > > Parents-of-Pumper
pop-digest V1 #196 > Parents-of-Pumper > email @ redacted > > > 09/16/2002 08:13
> AM > Please respond to > Parents-of-Pumper > s > > > > > > >Insulin
Pumpers is made possible by contributions from forum >members and
supporters in industry. Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00
per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you
and diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > > >pop-digest Monday,
September 16 2002 Volume 01 : Number 196 > > > >PLEASE edit the subject
line of your reply messages.
>#################################################### >This issue of the
digest contains: >Re: [IPp] What kids can eat when asleep >Re: [IPp] Re:
Maybe a solution soon >Re: [IPp] Re: My Glucagon Issue >Re: [IPp] pump
upgrade >Re: [IPp] Toddler on the Pump >Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors
>Re: [IPp] Merck Medco >Re: [IPp] pump upgrade >Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose
Monitors >[IPp] Re: Going high after breakfast >[IPp] Cindy and her
square wave(was Profile of Mona Moix) >Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors
>Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors >Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors >Re:
[IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors >
>---------------------------------------------------------------------- >
>Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 00:50:07 -0400 >From: "Cindy Lattimer" >Subject:
Re: [IPp] What kids can eat when asleep > >Dear Shelly, > >Chocholate
milk? What a great idea. Jessy used to get so sick every >time she drank
chocholate milk before she was diagnosed that we thought >her problem was
with chocolate. Turned out her problem was with diabetes >instead. We had
stopped getting chocholate milk, maybe it would be a >good idea now to
get it again to "treat" her lows in a joyful >way.....lol. > >Thank you
so much for the idea! > >Cindy > >Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8) dx 1/02,
Julie (3)non diab. and Trevor >(1)non diab.>From: Shelly Van Dyke
>Subject: [IPp] What >kids can eat when asleep >Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002
14:50:37 -0700 (PDT) > > >Insulin Pumpers is made possible by
contributions from forum >members >and supporters in industry. Your tax
deductible donation >of $1.00 or >$2.00 per month is needed so that
Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve >you and diabetes community.
Please visit: > > >http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your
annual contribution >will eliminate this header from your IP mail >
><<>box (at 28!)>>>> > >I >know the original string was about when your
child has passed out from >low >blood sugar, but the above phrase caught
my attention. Luke has not >passed out >from low blood sugar (knock on a
big piece of wood there) in >the nearly 3 years >he's been diagnosed. But
from lows during the night, >we found that even while >asleep, he can
pretty easily take a juice box, >3 glucose tablets (broken in >half, with
him rolled to his side to >prevent choking), or spoonfuls of real
>chocolate syrup. > >On the times >that we catch him when he's around 80
during the night or needs a >snack >after he comes back from a low, we
give him a little chocolate milk to > >keep him going - boy, does he suck
down chocolate milk well! I've found >that I >can dissolve up to a
tablespoon of chocolate syrup (real or >s-free) in just 2 >ounces of warm
milk if needed - it makes for a super >chocolate drink with a >real short
drink time. > >Luke thinks it's pretty >funny that even asleep his
preference for chocolate >comes through. > >Regards, >Shelly V, mom to
Luke, 7, dx'd 10/99, pumping 3/01 > > >
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 00:53:25 -0400
>From: "Cindy Lattimer" >Subject: Re: [IPp] Re: Maybe a solution soon >
>Kathy, > >Wow! Good luck to you! Try to keep your chin up, I will say a
prayer >for you. > >Cindy > >Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8) dx 1/02, Julie
(3)non diab. and Trevor >(1)non diab.>From: email @ redacted >Reply-To:
>email @ redacted >To: email @ redacted,
>email @ redacted, email @ redacted,
>email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Re: Maybe a solution
>soon >Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 13:05:28 EDT > >Insulin Pumpers is made
>possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in
industry. >Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is
needed so >that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes
community. >Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> >Your >annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail
> >i >don't think it would matter if it did hit a vein just work faster
is all, > >it isn't like a pain shot or long acting insulin or for that
matter fast > >acting insulin (when you don't want it to work that fast
with that much) > >hitting a vein. >all the glucagon is going to do is
dump the glucose out >of the liver, >possibly make them vomit and in my
daughters case she >always gets a very >severe headache which i think
might be related to >being so low for a period >of time. >even though she
has had three >witnessed seizures, she didn't get glucagon for >those she
has gotten >glucagon for being unconscious to the point that she
>couldn't suck on a >straw and wouldn't open her mouth for anyother tx a
couple >of times of >course she wasn't that unconscious apparently either
as sticking >her >with that big needle in her butt always make her move
and pull the needle > >out so i would have to stick her again usually in
the stomach where i >could >hold her still better. >thank god we haven't
needed the glucagon >lately. of course you have to have >numbers under
300 or so to need the >glucagon. which i am happy to say i did >get one
this am as she put her >pump in last nite of course that was after i
>just spent $53 on lantus >and syringes that am. now i have to order pump
>supplies as that was the >last tegaderm and cartridge she had and we are
going >to be without ins i >bet for the next three months also. (lost my
job due to >being too >depressed to go to work one day this week, but i
got a new one >already >back at the hospital) >kathy >
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 00:59:20 -0400
>From: "Cindy Lattimer" >Subject: Re: [IPp] Re: My Glucagon Issue > >Dear
Barbara, > >God Bless you with those seizures. I really don't think I
could stomache >it. I am a "panick attack waiting to happen" by nature as
it is, I do >hope I will hold up under pressure when the time comes
(maybe, with luck, >I never will have to go through that) > >Cindy >
>Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8) dx 1/02, Julie (3)non diab. and Trevor
>(1)non diab.>From: email @ redacted >Reply-To:
>email @ redacted >To:
>email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] Re: My
>Glucagon Issue >Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 03:03:21 EDT > >Insulin Pumpers
is >made possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in
>industry. Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is
>needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes
>community. Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> > >Your annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP
mail > > >Cindy, >I think sometimes the scarier times were when he was
younger. >He was >diagnosed 3 weeks after his 3rd birthday. He was a VERY
active >little >guy! And he wasn't a big eater. Never did breakfast till
he was > >hospitalized. So the lows came on faster and without warning. >
>Now our >scary times are the rapid drops while sleeping. Not scary while
>they are >happening--------I've gotten used to seizures. But scary in
>not knowing >when they are going to happen. Needless to say I nightly
>bless the meter >company for putting the backlight and the flashlight
beam >on his new >meters. We always do middle of the night BG checks >and
dawn one on >weekends and summer. School days he's up at that >time
anyway. > > >Sincerely, > >Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (12
1/2, Dx >2/93, 508 2/02, >Paradigm 8/16/02) --------Jennifer (20),
Allison (17), >Rachel (6) >Fenton, MO >email @ redacted >Independent
Kitchen >Consultant for The Pampered Chef. >
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 01:03:28 -0400
>From: "Cindy Lattimer" >Subject: Re: [IPp] pump upgrade > >Dear Debbie,
> >We have only been pumping since June, and we got the paradigm. I have
>nothing to compare it to, but I do love it. We have been very satisfied
>with Jessy's blood sugar levels and the ease of site changes. The
>waterproof issue never even came into play this summer. She ended up
>unhooking when she swam. We don't use the remote at all, at least not
>yet. The smaller reservoir is not yet an issue with us, it lasts her 3
>days with some insulin still in there. I hope I have helped you. >
>Cindy > >Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8) dx 1/02, Julie (3)non diab. and
Trevor >(1)non diab.>From: lance troian >Reply-To:
1 > >---------------------------------------------------------- >for HELP
SUPPORT >Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >-
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 01:06:39 -0400
>From: "Cindy Lattimer" >Subject: Re: [IPp] Toddler on the Pump > >Dear
Angela, > >HORAY!!!!!!!! I can't wait to find out what Jessy's alcs are
in >October. Her last ones were done the day she went on the pump. They
>were 8.4 then, I am certain they will be lower next month because her
>sugar levels have been consistently lower than before. > >Great job
mom!!!!!!!!! > >Cindy > >Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8) dx 1/02, Julie
(3)non diab. and Trevor >(1)non diab.>From: "email @ redacted Date":
email @ redacted, 13 Sep 2002 >12:50:email @ redacted >Reply-To:
email @ redacted > >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Toddler on >the
Pump >Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:03:43 -0700 > >Insulin Pumpers is >made
possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in
>industry. Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is
>needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes
>community. Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> > >Your annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP
mail > > >Hi all, > >I don't usually write much to the list, I do read
all the >messages >back and forth and they are very informative and
helpful. I >just >wanted to share our good news. My son who is 2 went on
the pump in > >March. His A1c's while non-pumping were in the 8's. We
just had his > >test done last week and the first time since pumping
straight for 3 > >mths his A1c's are 6.5. Our nurse says that is
excellent control for >a >toddler that young on the pump. She's afraid he
may behaving to >many >lows, which he isn't, but says that is overall
very tight >control. So we >were very pleased with the results. I highly
>recommend the pump for >toddlers, it makes a world of a
>difference.....Thanks for >listening...... > > >Angela, mom to Josh dx'd
at 9mths, pumping since >3/02 > > >"They say it takes a minute to find a
special person, > an hour >to appreciate them, a day to love them, > but
then an entire life to >forget them."
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 03:41:24 EDT
>From: email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors >
> > Just curious as to which meter it is that has a backlight and
flashlight > > beam.... > > Sounds really cool. > > > >It was me talking
about our meters. We switched from Accucheck >to "Precision Xtra" when he
went on the pump in February '02. The >hospital had a few that they'd
rec'd as samples. The CDE had used >that type summer '01 at camp when the
company gave them a bunch >of these new meters to try on the campers. >
>Since then we've gotten a second one so the home and school are both >on
same strips. I never need lights at night, son thinks its cool to >see
>my tiptoeing about like an "Alien" when he happens to awaken :) AND >the
other plus is it also handles strips which test the blood for ketones.
>Ketones show up fast in the blood so we aren't waiting around for stuff
>to show on urine strips a few hours later. > >We still don't see them in
all stores, but they are showing up. >E-Mail me privately if you want
more info. > >Sincerely, > >Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary
(12 1/2, Dx 2/93, 508 2/02, >Paradigm 8/16/02) --------Jennifer (20),
Allison (17), Rachel (6) >Fenton, MO >email @ redacted >Independent
Kitchen Consultant for The Pampered Chef. >-
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:18:45 -0500
>From: "Allison Leake" >Subject: Re: [IPp] Merck Medco > >We get all of
our supplies (not pump-related) from Merck. In January, I >was
>frustrated because they were not able to tell me with certainty what our
>copays would be for everything I was ordering. And this was when they
>showed us covered in the plan, with all of my membership info correct in
>their system! So, on our initial order of everything in January, I
>enclosed >a note stating that they should charge all of my copays to the
credit card >so that no part of our order was held up. Nothing was
delayed. In some >cases, my copays were less than what they quoted me
over the phone and >nothing was more expensive than what I was quoted...I
refill everything by >online order, and I have all of my orders charged
to my credit card. We've > >been pleased with their service. > >Our
insulin arrived in padded envelopes, with ice packs in them, that were
>not icy (but cool) when received. This was okay before summer
temperatures > >set in. I have not ordered insulin over the summer; I am
waiting for >cooler >temperatures again and then I will re-order. The
insulin we have received >this way has worked fine for Jeremy. > >I know
YMMV, but I do hope it works out for you, too! > >- -- Allison >mom to
Jeremy, 8, pumping 6/02 > >- ----Original Message Follows---- >From:
"Allison Kane" >Reply-To: email @ redacted >To: ,
>Subject: [IPp] Merck Medco >Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:02:14 -0600 > >I
just found out that my company is switching to Medco Health (formerly
>known as Merck Medco) for all their prescription coverage. I AM NOT A
HAPPY >CAMPER!!!!! > >Does anyone have ANYTHING positive to say about
these people??? >- -- >Allison >Mom to Tarek, age 10, IDDM, dx 11-16-1998
>Pumping DTron since 1-12-2001 >Novolog since 5-24-02 >Using FreeStyle
meter >Denver, Colorado >-
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:26:57 -0500
>From: "Pat Bannon" >Subject: Re: [IPp] pump upgrade > >Our daughter is
almost 13 and has all the hormones that tend to require >more >insulin
and we get by with the smaller reservoir with the Paradigm too. >Our
>average site lasts 3 days also. ONe time 4 days and I know we are
supposed >to change every 3 days. >- ----- Original Message ----- >From:
"Cindy Lattimer" >To: >Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2002 12:03 AM
>Subject: Re: [IPp] pump upgrade > > > > Insulin Pumpers is made possible
by contributions from forum > > members and supporters in industry. Your
tax deductible donation > > of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so that
Insulin Pumpers can > > continue to serve you and diabetes community.
Please visit: > > > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > > > >
Your annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >
> > Dear Debbie, > > > > We have only been pumping since June, and we got
the paradigm. I have > > nothing to compare it to, but I do love it. We
have been very satisfied > > with Jessy's blood sugar levels and the ease
of site changes. The > > waterproof issue never even came into play this
summer. She ended up > > unhooking when she swam. We don't use the remote
at all, at least not > > yet. The smaller reservoir is not yet an issue
with us, it lasts her 3 > > days with some insulin still in there. I hope
I have helped you. > > > > Cindy > > > > Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8) dx
1/02, Julie (3)non diab. and Trevor > > (1)non diab.>From: lance troian
>Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:57:49 -0700 > >Insulin Pumpers is made > >
possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in industry.
> > Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed
so > > that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes
community. > > Please visit: > >
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your > > annual
contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >I > > would
like to hear from anyone who upgraded from the 508 to the > > >paradigm.
We are debating if we are going to and wanted to hear from > > >anyone
who did and what you think of it. > >Thanks, > >Debbie mom to > > Megan,
6 dx'd 08/01/00 pumping since 08/13/01, Madison, 4 >and Gillian, 1 > >
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 12:15:44 EDT
>From: email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors >
>Barbara, > >I can't believe that is the meter you were talking about
because I went to >a >Diabetes Expo in the spring here in CT and the
American Diabetes Assoc. >were >offering whats called a "Whiz Kit" to
children with Diabetes. So I ordered >the kit which had fun things for
Matthew to do and some free offers. One of > >them is that meter. I got
the meter but did not really need, but thought it > >would be good to
have one in case our Freestyle had a problem, so I never >looked at it,
but I just took it out and it has that light and glows in the > >dark.
Really really cool. >Do you find that it takes a lot of blood? Our
Freestyle needs such a small >amount and I also like being able to test
on his arms to give his fingers a > >break. > > >Sarah :) Mom to Matthew
(6) MM Paradigm since May 2002, dxd 3/99 and >Victoria (7) Non-D...Love
My kids! >- ----------------------------------------------------------
> >------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:31:21
-0400 >From: Dianne Shekell >Subject: [IPp] Re: Going high after
breakfast > >BlankThis is to Trena, you said that you have been giving
Jake eggs and >bacon or sausage for breakfast for the last 2 weeks and
he's been high 2 >hrs. after. Bacon and Sausage are high in fat. You may
even use butter to >cook the eggs with (also a form of fat). Since fat
retards the absorption >of insulin, have you ever used the extended bolus
with the 2 units that you >give him. Say extending it over 2 hours? That
may help. > One other thing I was wondering about. Have you been giving
him eggs >EVERY day? I thought it wasn't good to have more than 3 eggs in
one WEEK. >I may be wrong, but I thought it was a question of putting too
much >cholesterol in your diet. > If anyone else knows about the egg
thing, please let me know. Just >curious. >Dianne, Mom to Johnny 10 >-
>------------------------------ > >Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:00:41 -0500
>From: "Mike Swaithes" >Subject: [IPp] Cindy and her square wave(was
Profile of Mona Moix) > >Cindy, >We started at the first of June also. >
>We started using the dual wave for pizza, (I think people call it the
pizza >bolus). We could never get the numbers to be in-line 2-3 hours
after pizza, >until we did two things. 1) got a scale and 2) and bolused
a normal bolus >for the full amount of carbs in the pizza now and another
1/2 that amount >over 2 hours. i.e. if the pizza was 100 carbs and she's
1 to 9, she would >get 11.1 units now and another 5.5 extended over the
next 2 hours. You >would >be surprised how far OFF a slice actually is,
even when you have the >nutritional information. > >One of the coolest
things with the pump, besides the things you pointed >out, >is thinking
what used to be an acceptable number is now HIGH. > >Mike Swaithes
>Husband to Pat >Dad to Alicia (9) & Lindsey (Z) 12, dx 5/98 > >-
-----Original Message----- >From: Cindy Lattimer >Dear Mona, > > We
started pumping in June > We have never used the square wave or dual wave
bolus yet either.....I >suppose when I become >more confident with
exactly how to use it, I will. > >Jessy's sugars used to run in the
200-400 range on a daily basis, now a mid >200 is high for her. > > Cindy
>- ---------------------------------------------------------- >for HELP
SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml >
>------------------------------ > >Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 00:27:07 EDT
>From: email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors >
> > Do you find that it takes a lot of blood? Our Freestyle needs such a
>small > > amount and I also like being able to test on his arms to give
his fingers >a > > > > break. > > > >I can't compare the amount of blood
to the freestyle (which I've heard uses >less blood than fingers) since
we've never done arm checks. It uses >normal >lancets, and we do find it
takes less blood than it did to fill his >accucheck >strips. > >We
haven't tried the freestyle since Zachary has some pretty bad >lows (and
that's an understatement) and we know the results aren't >accurate with
the freestyle on lows. When you have a kid that can >still be walking
around in the low 20's you don't want to be looking at a >meter that is
reading a slightly low number and not knowing how bad it >really is. But
I know others love them and I think that's great :) > >Sincerely, >
>Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary (12 1/2, Dx 2/93, 508 2/02,
>Paradigm 8/16/02) --------Jennifer (20), Allison (17), Rachel (6)
>Fenton, MO >email @ redacted >Independent Kitchen Consultant for The
Pampered Chef. >-
>------------------------------ > >Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 00:47:35 EDT
>From: email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors >
>In a message dated 9/15/2002 10:42:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes: > > > > > We switched from Accucheck > > >
to "Precision Xtra" > > > > In addition to the backlight & "flashlight
beam", it glows in the dark! >Or > > > > at least our model does! > > >
>You're right! Ours do too! Matter of fact, the first night we had it
>(which was an overwhelming day since it came and was instantly put to
use >the same day as our first pump went on) I didn't have time to read
all >the info on it. The CDE had pointed out the backlight and flashlight
>beam. > >And we'd used it in daylight and left it in his room when he
went to bed. >When I went in to do his first sleeping blood sugar, I
couldn't imagine >why his nightstand was glowing slightly. It was the
monitor :) > >Sincerely, > >Barbara A. Petzoldt - Pump Mama to Zachary
(12 1/2, Dx 2/93, 508 2/02, >Paradigm 8/16/02) --------Jennifer (20),
Allison (17), Rachel (6) >Fenton, MO >email @ redacted >Independent
Kitchen Consultant for The Pampered Chef. >-
>------------------------------ > >Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:13:02 EDT
>From: email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] Blood Glucose Monitors > >It
is true that when using the Freestyle Meter and testing on the forearm,
>it >doesn't give a "true" low reading. That is why whenever I suspect a
low >blood >sugar, and Matthew is good about telling me that he is hungry
or not >feeling >well (which for him is a sign of a low) I would test on
his fingers. We >have >been testing the fingers for a while now anyways,
but I like being able to >switch to the forearm when I see his fingers
showing tons of tiny holes in >them. I have never tested him and had him
be low and not treat him enough >to > >bring him back up in to a safe
range. > > >Sarah :) Mom to Matthew (6) MM Paradigm since May 2002, dxd
3/99 and >Victoria (7) Non-D...Love My kids! >-