[IPp] Express Scripts WAS RE: ATTN TriCare/Merck Medco users

We've been using them for about a year. They are okay. We've had good
service and we've had frustrating service.

They go by the letter of your insurance company's rules for filling your
prescriptions. Plus if your doctor's script isn't clear it can cause

The first time I ordered from them I had received a order envelope from
Aetna. The envelope had instructions on it, but it wasn't real clear so I
wanted to call them. There was no phone number on the envelope at all, and
Aetna didn't have a number for them. So I followed the instructions exactly
as I read them. I had our endo write prescriptions for each of Tarek's meds
and I sent it in. About a week and a half later I received the scripts and
it was only for a 30 day supply, not a 90 day supply. The prescription info
sheet had their phone number on it, so I called them and was told that
because the doctor didn't specify a 90 day supply that they could only fill
the scripts for a 30 day supply, I tried to argue that the whole point of
going through them was for a 90 days supply and that their instructions
didn't say the doctor had to write a 90 day supply and couldn't they just
multiply by three, and apparently that kind of math is to difficult for them
because I was told no. I had our endo re-write the prescriptions and for
each item write the name of the prescription the 90 day dosage and that it
was FOR 90 days. Example: Therasense FreeStyle Glucose Test Strips, 1500
count, 90 days supply. The prescription had to be very exact for everything.
You can't talk to a pharmacist and it's a pain in the butt if the
prescription is not exact.

I would recommend always making copies of the script before you mail it in.
That way if there is a problem you can look at your copy to compare to what
they are saying they have in their computers.

Also, if they don't have something in stock, they just send you your
prescription back, they don't wait til they get it in stock to fill it.
Which is kind of frustrating.

One particular item, glucose tablets, we stopped getting from them, because
they would only send us one flavor (orange). When I asked them if I could
get a variety of flavors, they said the prescription had to be written for
which flavors by the doctor. I asked if he could just say "variety" and they
said no. They would have to have the exact dosage and flavor, and if we
wanted different flavors each month, we would have to send in a new
prescription every month. Too much trouble for me. Our local pharmacist will
get us whatever flavors Tarek wants and no special prescriptions are needed.

Seems like there is more, but I can't think of it right now.

I haven't tried insulin. I prefer to get that locally and know that it is
fresh and always been refrigerated. It's worth paying a little more for that
Mom to Tarek, age 10, IDDM, dx 11-16-1998
Pumping DTron since 1-12-2001
Novolog since 5-24-02
Using FreeStyle meter
Denver, Colorado