Re: [IPp] Re: A proactive, positive perspective

Dear Renee,

I'm not a class act (I feel pretty awful for my initial reaction when I
found out that Mr. McCartney had diabetes, instead of being concerned, my
first question was "I wonder if he has to go to the nurse to check his
sugars")  I have calmed down and become genuinely concerned.  Marie is
wonderful, as are all the people on this POP list.  I don't take offence
of anything anyone says or I wouldn't have posted my dicovery and my
initial attitude towards it.  Everyone has a different way of seeing
things, along with different attitudes of handeling them.  I embrace all
opinions and comments, and then find a medium that suits me.  That is
what I love most about this group.  Everyone is different and not afraid
to tell you if they disagree with you.  I like that.  It humbles me, and
brings me back down to earth and puts the big picture aback into
perspective.  The big picture is the best care for my duaghter while she
is in scho! ol, being able to test her sugars in the classroom, and
having access to the glucagon if ever she should need it.  I got my
way.......however, I am wondering if maybe he knew he had diabetes at the
time of our meeting, and that is why after all summer of fighting him,
and him being adamant on the issue, he finally bent and let me have my

When it comes to answering my questions.......give it to me
straight........I respect and appreciate it more then you could know.

email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] Re: A proactive,
positive perspective >Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:18:46 EDT > >Insulin
Pumpers is made possible by contributions from forum >members and
supporters in industry. Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00
per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you
and diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >In a message dated
9/13/02 8:53:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >email @ redacted writes: >
> > > Thank you so > > much Marie. And you are right........being
sickening sweet is not the > > higher road, but being genuine is. Thanks.
comments show that you >are "one class act". If these frustratingly
obtuse educators could >"learn a lesson" from those of us who have "been
there/done that" instead of >thinking their way is the ONLY way, everyone
would have a lot more time to >focus on SCHOOL concerns, instead of power
struggles!! > Also, this is something I posted yesterday to the general
list, but since >some moms only read PoP, I thought it might be worth
re-stating: > > I have taken a new perspective on my health and well
being. The way I > > look at is: if I test often, I can catch problems
before they get out > > of hand. > >Billie: > BRAVO...that attitude is
precisely what I "preach" to my daughter & to >other families with whom I
connect. I've adopted the mantra "MORE is LESS", >trying to inculcate the
notion that by doing what "appears" to be MORE ( i.e. >checking
frequently) my daughter actually winds up doing LESS ( i.e not >having to
deal with the consequences of an out of control bg that could have >been
"intercepted" & corrected before it got that high). The consequences of
>feeling so awful, not being able to think clearly, etc. are hopefully
enough >of a deterrent to her that she does take those few minutes to
check her bgs >routinely. > As for the "feeling guilty" theme, maybe this
will help..it's something >I'd written that is still on the JDRF website
, using a "driving metaphor" >for life with diabetes. JDRF Kids Online:
Diabetes Road Rules>(http://www.jdf.org/kids/ideazone/2001/06/roadrules.html
) >Regards >Renee (pump mom to Melissa dx'd 9/16/92 at age 9)