Re: [IPp] My Glucagon Issue

Dear Cheri,

Keep up the good work.  I hate what if's too........but.......what if the
world ended tomorrow?  I can't believe the one about "what if the person
forgot to dial 9 before 911!"  That is just ludicrous at this point.  Do
you think that person sat up all night last night writing up what if
questions to throw at you......that may have been one of the questions
writen at 2am.....lol.  Good luck, I am sending positive vibes your way
for a 504 plan that you can be happy with.

(1)non diab.>From: "Cheri McCurdy" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: [IPp] My Glucagon Issue
>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 20:33:59 +0000 > >Insulin Pumpers is made
possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in industry.
Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so
that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes community.
Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your
annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >A
quick update on my Thursday meeting. In a nutshell, we are back to >where
we should have been at the beginning of all this. We will start >with a
504 plan which includes glucagon injections by someone willing to >take
the responsibility/training. If any one of the 7 504 committee >members
vote against the glucagon issue, it will not be allowed until we >go
through a repeal process and everyone can agree on the plan. Now, the
>principal and superintendant are both supportive of allowing the
>glucagon. The nurse cannot accept responsibility to train anyone and
>recommends against it from a professional viewpoint. The man in charge
of >school policy was just the person to who "gathered the info" but was
>leaning towards not allowing it. He made it very clear that it was the
>commitee's decision and not theirs or mine for that matter. >I
demonstrated the glucagon to them and told them that I had never asked
>the school d! istrict for more than liberal restroom and phone
>privleges. I was now asking them to help my child in an emregency
>situation. The information gatherer told me that this did not fall under
>the emergency first aid guidelines and gave several what ifs like: What
>if the school couldn't find the glucagon, what if the keys to get into
>the locked cabinet where all medication is kept were missing, what if
the >person trained was so nervous that they couldn't remember how to do
the >injection. I pointed out that although I had been trained in CPR and
it >fell under the emergency first aid section, what if I was so nervous
that >I panicked and forgot how. I hate what ifs. He was even worried
that by >writing call 911 in the 504 plan, that the school would forget
to dial a >9 to get an outside line! Geez, can I possibly take care of
everything! >I told them how I was forced to give shots to my child and
that I would >never want to force that on anyone ! but I have several
people willing to >learn and do this to save her if needed. So....I could
babble all day >but will start from square 1 and the 504 in place. If no
one disputes >it, I guess I have it made! A friend with a D daughter has
her 504 >meeting today with the other school nurse and hers is
progressing along >very well. I hope I didn't open up a can of worms for
her. I was told >this morning that there is only one medical 504 in place
in our >District. I think it is just a new thing in this District and
they are >intimidated by it. Why does everything boil down to liability
and legal >issues instead of the well being of our children. > >I didn't
know that epi-pens can kill if given incorrectly...good point. >The nurse
also was told that a pen of this type would be out within one >year to
adminster premixed glucagon. If the person giving the shot was
McCurdy > > Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:58:04 EDT >From: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IPp] My glucagon issue > >In a message dated 9/11/02
10:29:11 AM Central Daylight Time, >email @ redacted writes: > > > What
I can't believe is that the nurse said it was okay to > > give injections
for bee sting reactions and not insulin >reactions...will > > make that
point in my meeting also! Cheri Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 1! >1:26:07 > >
EDT > > > >Ask her to show you the law...our former district tried this
and were not >in >compliance with the law...it took a phone call to the
director of the >state >board of nursing to confirm....silly
really...glucagon can't *hurt* >anyone if >given at the wrong time but
epi pens can kill if given incorrectly.....I >still suggest you ask, in
writing for a 504 meeting to discuss this and >signed off as the law
states.....it is not a matter of being ornery but >getting your child's
rights in place....good luck and I am so blessed >that I >no longer have
this battle..... >Beverly >- -*******---******* >Beverly, Mom to Mary,
NINE!!, dx'd 9/97, pumping with Animas and Nick, >who is >now ten! >