Re: [IPp] Maybe a solution soon

Dear Shanna,

Good luck.  Isn't it just a shame that we have to go through all of this
to begin with?  I wish there was a law written in stone that protected
our diabetic children.

email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted, email @ redacted
>Subject: [IPp] Maybe a solution soon >Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:51:55
EDT > >Insulin Pumpers is made possible by contributions from forum
>members and supporters in industry. Your tax deductible donation >of
$1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue
to serve you and diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >If any of you are still
following our situation here is the latest. >Yesterday, most of the
nurses in the district went through formal pump >training. They all got
to play with a working pump, give boluses, disconnect >the pump, that
kind of stuff. The guy that I am having so much trouble with >did not
attend (I asked if he had some other place that he had to be and >every
one told me no). Also the health aid attended the training. Now we >are
waiting again. The nurses want to give it 2 weeks to see if the health
>aide can figure out the pump and get comfortable using it (with me still
>coming all the time). Hopefully in those 2 weeks I can stop going at the
>morning and afternoon checks because Jacob hasn't been needing a bolus
at >those times. We called off going to the school board meeting because
they >are at least trying to come to a solution now. If at the end of the
2 weeks >they haven't come to a solution then they better watch out.
Yesterday I got >mad again though because the issue of glucagon came up.
There has never >really been an issue of someone else giving glucagon. In
fact they were >planning on training Jacob's teacher, the 4th grade
teacher (504 plan >coordinator for the school, has diabetes, is on the
pump, as well as has a >daughter with diabetes), and the health aid. I
told them that there should >be NO ISSUE with glucagon because it can't
hurt you but if you don't give it >then you could kill the child. Some
nurse said that someone could hit a vein >or something. I told them that
they would be injecting it either into a >thigh or butt so I HIGHLY doubt
that they would be hitting a vein and even it >by some freak chance they
did it is still better then the child dying. It >also should be protected
under the good samaritan law. Thanks again to all >those that helped me
out. At the end of the 2 weeks I will let you all know >what the
situation is. > >Shanna, >Mom to Jacob, 5, dx'd 3-2-99, pumping Animas
6-26-02, and Hunter, 2