Re: [IPp] Going off the pump

I don't know a lot about lantus, but I think it does not have the peaks and
valleys that nph has, and is longer acting.  Some say that combining lantus
with humalog or a fast acting insulin is equivalent to being on the pump, as
the lantus has the effect of giving a steady base of insulin, and you use
humalog just as you do with the pump - so the lantus is his basal rate, sort
of, and the humalog is used to correct blood sugars and cover carbohydrates.,
Downside, a few more shots than usual.
That's my understanding.
Good luck,