Re: [IPp] Going off the pump

Dear Susan,

God bless you.  It must be hard to have to take him off of the pump after
being on it.  I cannot imagine having to take Jessy off the pump after
finding our "salvation" with her blood sugar numbers and the ease of
schedules!  I am so sorry that your son has a reaction to everything.
That really does make it hard on everyone.  Good luck.

(1)non diab.>From: Susan Borkowsky >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: Parents of Pumpers List
>Subject: [IPp] Going off the pump >Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:35:13 -0500
> >Insulin Pumpers is made possible by contributions from forum >members
and supporters in industry. Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or
$2.00 per month is needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve
you and diabetes community. Please visit: > >
will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >Jon is going off the pump
tomorrow morning. We need to take a break >from his site irritation and
the horrible infection that he has >developed. He has been on antibiotics
several times now for site >infections. We're pretty sure what is
happening is that he is so itchy >from the allergy (adhesive,
preservative in the adhesive, the plastic >canula itself, we're not sure)
and he scratches with his grubby little >five year old fingers and
bacteria get in, hence, and infection. We've >tried several different
barrier creams, sprays, pastes (yuk), tapes >(have a few boxes of those)
and he reacts to all of them. We have a >referral to go to an allergist
but no appointment yet. > >I'm so afraid to start him back on NPH and
NovoRapid. I'm so out of >practice. I know it will come back to me like
nothing but it is still >so frightening somehow. Anyway, that is what
we're doing. We really >need to give his belly a chance to heal. There
are almost no available >spaces left to put an infusion anyway. We've had
him on a daily dose of >clariton for itchy skin but it did nothing. It
was strictly a contact >thing. We also are very suspicious that he was
previously allergic to >the Lispro and that the Aspart is a bit better
but it is still bad. >There is more than one thing going on here. > >Wish
me luck. I'm really nervous about this. Oh, and tell me something >here,
the NPH covers lunch and pm snack, right?? I'm so green..... > >Susan
(who will likely laugh at this post in a few days....) >Julianna - 17,
Danny - 16, Katrina - 12, Jonathan - 5 dx 08/00, pumping >from 03/02 -
09/02, Nicholas - 3