[IPp] My Glucagon Issue

I am also fighting a battle over the glucagon issue at our school.  I
have learned not to take no for an answer.  Amelia's teacher, principal
and school secretary were all willing to be trained to administer
glucagon in an emergency situation.  I have it in the 504 plan and it
just needed to be reviewed by the nurse.  The nurse had a meeting with
the teacher, principal, secretary and decided it would be a liability to
the school to administer the glucagon.  She told me that the ambulance
response time to Amelia's school is 3 minutes which I seriously doubt as
it is atleast 6 miles away from the ambulance base, with traffic and the
fact that there is only one "team" on duty.  The nurse said that a
epi-pen which is used for bee sting reactions was okay because it was
pre-mixed.  I was so mad, stewed over it all weekend.  Monday, I looked
up the District policy on the internet and it reads totally opposite of
what the nurse is telling ! us all.  It says "employees can administer
first aid on school property when conditions require without any
liability to either the School District or the administering employee.
Also says medications requiring other routes besides oral, topical or
inhalant will not be given by school personnel except in emergency
situations."  The nurse offered to help in any way she could to get the
glucagon approved but I think she needs to read and understand the
school's policy.  I think it important for the parents to push and follow
through!  I have a meeting with the nurse, principal and school
superintendent Thursday......will let you know what happens!

Cheri McCurdy, Mom to Amelia, 9, D 1-00, P 12-00 and Amanda, 15