Re: [IPp] Glucogon at School/Carol in AZ

Carol...this is from the State Board of Nurses....I think it gives you wheat
you need.......I also received a note for the State Board of Health who will
be getting back to me Tuesday.....hope this helps!

Dear Betty,
The school district governing board can establish policies for administration
of medication can delegate the administration of glucagon to employees of a
school (ARS B' 15-344).  The nurse cannot delegate the administration of
medications to any unlicensed person but can educate an individual in the
administration of medications.  Since glucagon is an emergency medication,
the employee can administer the drug under the exemption of nursing care in
an emergency in the nurse practice act (ARS B' 32-1631(2)).  The school
district needs to establish policies under which and employee can administer
this drug.

Pamela K. Randolph RN, MS, CPNP
Education Consultant
Arizona State Board of Nursing
602-331-8111 ext 139
Fax 602-906-9365

Thanks,
Joey Joey Ridenour RN MNArizona State Board of Nursing Executive Director