Re: [IPp] Glucogon at School

Dear Susan,

Thank you!  I just spoke with Jessy's endo, and the school nurse, Jessy
will be allowed to bolus for her snack on her own!!!!!!  Another small
victory!

(1)non diab.>From: Susan Borkowsky >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To:
email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp] Glucogon at
School >Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 08:14:36 -0500 > >Insulin Pumpers is made
possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in industry.
Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so
that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes community.
Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your
annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail >
>Jonathan Bolus's himself too. He always has an adult to the calculation
and >then supervise the bolus, but he does it himself. > >Susan > >Marisa
Schmidt wrote: > > > Insulin Pumpers is made possible by contributions
from forum > > members and supporters in industry. Your tax deductible
donation > > of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so that Insulin
Pumpers can > > continue to serve you and diabetes community. Please
visit: > > > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > > > > Your
annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > > > >
Cindy, > > > > My son has been bolusing himself since he started pumping
9 months ago, just > > 2 months shy of his 8th birthday. I write what his
bolus will be on a > > little post-it note. Even though he does not bolus
the same amount > > everyday, he has never once made a mistake. I think
your daughter will do > > fine too. > > Good luck, > > Marisa > > > >
----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Cindy Lattimer" > > To: > > Sent:
Sunday, September 08, 2002 10:07 PM > > Subject: Re: [IPp] Glucogon at
School > > > > > Insulin Pumpers is made possible by contributions from
forum > > > members and supporters in industry. Your tax deductible
donation > > > of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is needed so that Insulin
Pumpers can > > > continue to serve you and diabetes community. Please
visit: > > > > > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > > > > >
> Your annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail >
regular nurse should be sick, then > > > they would have a substitute
nurse to replace her. Jessy just happens to > > > go to gym in the
morning, and if, by chance the nurse were to leave her > > > post, she
would bring the walkie talkie with her. I am quite confident > > > with
the nurse, she is young and fit, and more importantly, cares about > > >
Jessy on a personal level (her daughter and my Jessy are friends.) > > >
> > > We are trying to get Jessy to do her snack bolus by herself in the
> > > classroom without the nurses involvement because, that would be
just one > > > more time she would need to go there unnecessarily. She
will always be > > > bolusing the same, so it is a no brainer. The nurse
seems to be OK with > > > it as long as there are no legal issues, which
there aren't, so I am > > > pretty sure this will work out fine. Once
this acclimation period is > > > over, Jessy will only need to go to the
nurse after lunch to bolus, when > > > she is over 180- to bolus, when
she is under 80 (after she eats > > > something, of course), and on gym
days before and after gym so that she > > > can drop her stuff off in the
nurses office and pick it back up, so she > > > will just test there,
especially since the nurses office is right next to > > > the gym. I
can't wait until the 30 days are up. Jessy can't either. > > > > > >
Thanks for being there, Beverly, and being concerned, it really does mean
> > > so much to me that all the way from Texas, you are watching out for
my > > > precious little peanut. > > > > > > Cindy, pump mom to Jessy (8)
dx 1/02, Julie (3)non diab. and Trevor > > > (1)non diab.>From:
email @ redacted >Reply-To: > > > email @ redacted
>To: > > > email @ redacted >Subject: Re: [IPp]
Glucogon at > > > School >Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 09:33:05 EDT > >Insulin
Pumpers is made > > > possible by contributions from forum >members and
supporters in industry. > > > Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or
$2.00 per month is needed so > > > that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to
serve you and diabetes community. > > > Please visit: > >
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > >Your > > > annual
contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail > >In a > > >
message dated 9/8/02 8:27:10 AM Central Daylight Time, > > >
>email @ redacted writes: > > > > Our school has the walkie talkies, >
> > therefor I did not push the glucagon > > issue. My battle was mostly
for > > > the testing in the classroom. We are > > trying to figure out
now if > > > Jessy will be allowed to bolus for at least > > her snack
(It will always > > > be a 15 carb snack, therefor she will always be > >
bolusing 1.0, a no > > > brainer, and I think the nurse has realized just
how > > ridiculous this > > > all is to make Jessy go to the her so
often.) I really > > don't mind her > > > bolusing for lunch in the
nurses office, Jessy does > > because she is > > > missing out on quality
recess time, but we are trying to > > work it out > > > with the
teacher's to let her go earlier to bolus, so she > > doesn't > > > have
to miss out. > > > >Cindy, did you make sure there is always someone > >
> around who can give >glucagon? even when the nurse is gone? Jess should
> > > be able to bolus for snack >with the nurse....our nurse goes to
Mary > > > except for lunch and Mary leaves a >little early to stop by
her office > > > but Mary can start doing it in class >anytime she
wishes....btw, our > > > school has 1200 and counting so she is very
>busy and has another D > > > child...good luck! >Beverly
>-*******---******* >Beverly, Mom to Mary, > > > NINE!!, dx'd 9/97,
pumping with Animas and Nick, who is >now ten! > >
contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org > > > >help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml > > > > > >