Re: [IPp] Glucogon at School

Dear Carol,

Our school has the walkie talkies, therefor I did not push the glucagon
issue.  My battle was mostly for the testing in the classroom.  We are
trying to figure out now if Jessy will be allowed to bolus for at least
her snack (It will always be a 15 carb snack, therefor she will always be
bolusing 1.0, a no brainer, and I think the nurse has realized just how
ridiculous this all is to make Jessy go to the her so often.) I really
don't mind her bolusing for lunch in the nurses office, Jessy does
because she is missing out on quality recess time, but we are trying to
work it out with the teacher's to let her go earlier to bolus, so she
doesn't have to miss out.

Keep up the good work, I know first hand how physically draining fighting
with the school can be, especially since so much is riding on it.
Remember to stay tough......and on your toes!

(1)non diab.>From: "Carol Mulligan" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: >Subject: Re: [IPp] Glucogon
at School >Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 09:07:19 -0700 > >Insulin Pumpers is
made possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in
industry. Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is
needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes
community. Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> >Your annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail
> > > Dear Carol, > > > > Go girl! Keep hounding her about it. You
already said the PE teacher > > was OK with the glucagon, you may want to
talk to him again before the > > nurse tries to "scare" him out of it
(that is most likely what she will > > do instead of finding out his
comfort level). Isn't it awful that we > > have to think the worst of
these people? I know my problems with the > > superintendent were because
he had a lack of knowledge, and didn't ask > > the "right" questions to
other people when "doing research on the > > subject". Just keep on top
of this. If they still say no to the PE > > teacher having the glucagon,
demand the walkie talkies. They cannot deny > > you that! > > > > Cindy,
pump mom to Jessy (8) dx 1/02, Julie (3)non diab. and Trevor > > (1)non
diab > >Cindy, > >After talking to the district nurse I did go back and
talk to the PE teacher >again. Right now I believe he's OK with this. I
didn't let on that he can >refuse. I just gave him the info matter of
fact and said this is how we >have to deal with it. I hope the nurse
doesn't scare him out of it, but I'm >prepared if she does. I've already
told the principle that if we can't work >something out with the PE
teacher then I prepared to find other solutions >including someone else
trained with the glucogon to be out on the field. >But really I think
that would be ridiculous to have someone out there all >the time. I'd
more than likely push for the walkie talkies. > >Carol