Re: [IPp] ketones again !!!

    Aaarrrggghhhh..wish I could tell you this won't happen again, but as recently as this summer, Melissa did a comparable thing (at age 19 1/2) taking her pump off for 4 hours, playing in the pool with kids she was baby-sitting, & even eating some lunch without re-hooking & bolusing. Not sure if she had sun stroke or what (!!), but it was as if for that moment in time, she wanted to completely forget about diabetes & delude herself into believing that the splashing around in the pool would compensate for no insulin.
   When she was in high school, she was playing field hockey & was equally stubborn about not re-hooking,checking etc during practices & games. After several hours with no insulin, she'd come home at dinnertime with bgs in the high 300s, too NASTY to do any homwork & not able to eat, etc. until her bgs finally came down hours later. After four of these episodes, I finally told her either she complied with her CDE's "game plan" or she couldn't play. She reluctantly "sort of" compromised & at least did check & take some insulin 1/2 way through. I never did fully understand why she was soooo difficult about this, but the following fall, she opted not to play sports because in her "mind's eye", it wasn't worth the hassle. :-(
   Not sure "threats" are the optimal way to handle this with Eve, but just as we wouldn't condone a teen drink & driving, we have to be equally adamant about the "dangers" of pumping without precautions too.
   Good luck!! There are no easy answers here, only lots of understanding "ears"....
Renee (melissa's pump mom)