Re: [IPp] when to call the doctor

Dear Deborah,

We were told to call our endo any time there are moderate or large
ketones.  Our endo likes to keep track of the children's health at
certain levels.  They like us to call for trends of highs or lows also.
I don't mind.  I have been extremely lucky that Jessy has only had
moderate ketones once now (she has only been diagnosed since January and
is still in the honeymoon period),  we still only use about 30 units of
insulin a day, and the pump has taken her average blood sugar from 250 to
180 (that is a 30 day average) in the 2 months we have been using it.

At one point I was told if our daughter was to have large ketones, she
would need to go to the emergency room, but when she actually had them
that one time, they just talked us through them instead, I called every
hour to let them know her progress, and she came down to trace within 3
hours.    I hope this has helped you.

(1)non diab.>From: "Deborah" >Reply-To:
email @ redacted >To: >Subject: [IPp] when to call
the doctor >Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:59:07 -0500 > >Insulin Pumpers is
made possible by contributions from forum >members and supporters in
industry. Your tax deductible donation >of $1.00 or $2.00 per month is
needed so that Insulin Pumpers can >continue to serve you and diabetes
community. Please visit: > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> >Your annual contribution will eliminate this header from your IP mail
> >With all the wisdom on this site, I need help again. When do you call
the >doctor when your child has large ketones? > >Eve was high (HI on her
meter)at supper this evening and had moderate >ketones. Now she just
checked and has high ketones. she is feeling thirsty >but ok. > >Deborah
mom to Eve 15, and her pump Zoe >Dxed 5/3/96 pumping 5/21/99