[IPp] Balanced School Day

Hello everyone!

My daughter starts school tomorrow and I am struggling to figure out
what to send her to eat.  Our school is taking part in a pilot project
this year called the Balance School day.  Instead of the usual 2 recess,
1 lunch, we are switching to 2 nutrition breaks, as they are called.
The first one is at 10:30 and the second is at 1:00.  They eat for 20
minutes at each one then spend 30 minutes outside.  The school says the
kids should eat 1/2 of their lunch at 10:30 and 1/2 at 1:00.  I just
don't know if Megan will eat enough at 10:30 to last until 1:00.  Any
ideas?  Also, we don't have a school nurse so I have to predict what
Megan will eat and program it into her pump.  I will be available to go
into the school for the first couple of weeks until we work out any
problems, but I would like to hear anyone's thoughts and ideas to
hopefully make this a smooth transition.  I plan on having them test her
before both nutrition breaks and possibly before she gets on the bus at
3:30 because I will be more likely that she will have a low at this
time.  I know that her 10:30 reading will be high because we still
haven't mastered the breakfast bolus to stop her blood sugar from
rising, than falling by lunch.  So we will not correct her blood sugar
until we see what will happen.

Sorry this is so long but as I am planning for tomorrow I am thinking
more and more that this plan is stupid and will probably not work for
Megan.  Thank god for the pump though or she would for sure be having
lows everyday at 12:00.  Is anyone else's children on this schedule at

Thanks for any ideas you guys may have.

mom to Megan, 6 dx'd 08/00, pumping since 08/01, Madison, 4 and Gillian,